• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GSM Battery - Phone Radio

BcBorn

Lurker
Aug 19, 2015
Hello all, (I realize the app is wrong in the title)

I am using the GSam Battery app to get a better understanding of my battery consumption. It has recently started showing that the "Phone Radio" is using a significant amount of my battery throughout the day. In the image you can see that in about two hours of use that "Phone Radio" takes up over 80% of the battery that has been used. Expanding for more information shows that there has been quite a bit of mobile data sent and received. I do not think that this is the case though, as if I look at my actual data consumption for today it is maybe 10MB, not the 750MB that is reported in the app.

Screenshot_2015-08-21-09-09-26.png Screenshot_2015-08-21-09-09-30.png

Is that app not functioning correctly, or am I misunderstanding what the amount of mobile data used means?

Any insight would be great!

Things to note:
  • I am connected to LTE
  • I have great service where I am
  • It has not always been like this, but I never noticed when it switched
Thanks!

Last edited:
I think that you're misinterpreting the results.

You're losing less than 4% / hour looking at a very small time sample, and if you factor in other use, you've lost less than 3% / hour due to the radios.

Looking at that and the awake time apart from screen on and it works out to a standby time of about 24 hours, or as GSam predicts based on the last 15 minutes before the screen shot, nearly double that at 41 hours.

While the radio entry shows data transfer details, that's just a freebie.

The dominant factors for radio power consumption are signal strength and radio type.

If you're in a fringe or low reception area, your power consumption is going to increase - and add a bit more for LTE.

Where did you see that you transferred 10 MB during that time? I mean, what utility or app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones