• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I finally got it if anyone uses this phone for ST here are the correct settings:
Name: STRAIGHT TALK (or just any name you would like to use)
APN: tfdata
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: <Leave in Blank>
Username: <Leave in Blank>
Password: <Leave in Blank>
Server: <Leave in Blank>
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: <Leave in Blank>
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: Leave it to the Default one

Thanks everyone

Upvote 0
Hello everybody here are the settings for Telcel and Movistar Mexico, tested by me and works very good only one thing I was not able to connect on LTE :(, probably either there is no LTE on mexico nor the phone has locked the BAND's used for Telcel and movistar, I will investigate further.
By the way anybody knows which bands are used for Telcel and Movistar on Mexico?

Regards.

_id 14
name Telcel 3G
numeric 334020
mcc 334
mnc 20
apn internet.itelcel.com
user webgprs
server Blank
password webgprs2003
proxy Blank
port Blank
mmsproxy Blank
mmsport Blank
mmsc Blank
authtype 1
type default
current 1
protocol IPV4V6
profile_type apn
roaming_ptotocol IPV4V6
carrier_enabled 1
bearer 0

_id 15
name Movistar Internet
numeric 334030
mcc 334
mnc 30
apn internet.movistar.mx
user movistar
server Blank
password movistar
proxy Blank
port Blank
mmsproxy Blank
mmsport Blank
mmsc Blank
authtype 1
type default,supl
current Blank
protocol IPV4V6
profile_type apn
roaming_ptotocol IPV4V6
carrier_enabled 1
bearer 0

_id 16
name Movistar MMS
numeric 334030
mcc 334
mnc 30
apn mms.movistar.mx
user movistar
server Blank
password movistar
proxy Blank
port Blank
mmsproxy 10.2.20.1
mmsport 8080
mmsc http://mms.movistar.mx
authtype 1
type mms
current Blank
protocol IPV4V6
profile_type mms
roaming_ptotocol IPV4V6
carrier_enabled 1
bearer 0

PS "_id" depends on the available rows on your database.

Upvote 0
I had the issue, trying to change the apn on unlocked and rooted phone. You answered why sometimes the settings didn't "take." i just kept rebooting and experimented until it took. I tried a half dozen combinations till I got one working in st. Pete, fl 33703 but I am not getting 3g much less lte off at&t towers and I currently can't send or receive mms only plain text is working.

Upvote 0
I got this phone from a friend and put in my us cellular Sim card and data works right away. I try to make a call and it says I can't because I'm roaming. I tried adding in us cellular apn but its still roaming. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it an unlocked phone? Is it a rooted phone? Mine complains about the straight talk sim card being from an "unknown source" too but everything works. Could it be you need a network password or something like that? Whose phone was it originally? Was it verizon, tmobile, at&T? I am going to take a guess that it's probably not unlocked.

Upvote 0
US Cellular is CDMA, right?
For CDMA, it uses PRL (Preferred Roaming List) and Home SID to determine if the phone is roaming. I thought those things are normally stored on the SIM card, so it's odd that your phone thinks it's roaming. Is there a way to activate your PRL with the phone itself? Like on Verizon, you could dial *228 and choose option 2 to update PRL.

I've also found that the Hydro Elite is rather picky about what SIM cards it works correctly with. I could never get it to work with a blank RUIM (CDMA SIM card) that I programmed myself, but Motorola phones (Electrify M and RAZR M) had no problems with it whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Yes it is unlocked and rooted. My friends AT&T Sim could call but no data. My us cellular has data but is in roaming and can't call or text. Its a Verizon phone.

I don't know anything about US cellular, the fact that the other sim card got data working would mean the correct APN settings are on the sim card, voice doesn't use APN. If it's an unlocked phone and you have the correct sim card it should just link right in, don't know about the roaming thing.

Maybe this will provide you a clue:

I put my unlocked verizon kyocera hydro elite on straight talk. When you purchase the setup kit there are two different sim cards in the package, one for AT&T towers and one for T-mobile towers the unlocked phone can use either sim card but you have to be sure to select GSM in the settings (go to settings, wireless and networks, more, mobile networks, network mode then you've got three options in there, global, gsm, cdma) for straight talk I have to be sure GSM is selected or I have no voice service.

Like I said, I know nothing about US cellular but from the sounds of it you have to have the sim card from your carrier for the towers you want to use, at least that's how it is with straight talk. Why data works is beyond me unless it's just the fact that it's an at&t card and the APN is just checking for the right info and nothing else. The fact it says roaming would seem to support my theory because something doesn't believe you have the right to use the towers you're connecting to.

Upvote 0
Just a thought, could this have anything to do with the radio in the phone that it talks on? I.e. t-mobile uses a strange frequency for data that a lot of phones and dongles don't support. T-mobile is slowly switching to a more common frequency to accommodate the iphone but it's not everywhere yet. I can't speak on cdma because straigh talk is a gsm network. My Elite gripes about the card being from an unknown source at reset/reboot but everything works, the voice worked right away data was harder because I had to hack the APN and I had to get GO SMS pro from the google store to fix the mms issue..can't send/receive pictures without that (I guess GO SMS has it's own APN setting list and can send mms texts over the internet if they can't make it work any other way..was only six bucks and was worth it rather than tearing out my hair trying to fix the APN issue).

Upvote 0
when i restart the phone it says "sim card is from an unknown source" i have tried dialing *228 and it says "sorry this sim card is not recognized or registered. Please contact your wireless provider." When i put an at&t sim card in it says "sim card from unknown source" but it lets me call just fine, same with a straight talk sim. Im getting a 3g signal with full bars and data connects fine. Its not on WiFi, its turned off for this. is there anything else i can do?

Upvote 0
I managed to root a couple of kyocera hydro elite phones. I also entered apn settings using sqlite. However, apn settings do not stick. What I mean is that after editing the new apn settings and saving the telephoney.db file, the new apn changes are not there after reopening it. Obviously, nothing shows under the apn menu. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I picked up a Kyocera Hydro Elite to play around with. Just FYI, these are GSM unlocked out of the box. I popped in my T-Mobile SIM and it's up and running.

Getting data working is a little tricky because there doesn't appear to be any way in the APN menu to actually add a new APN. Since I wanted it rooted anyway, I rooted it with Motochopper, installed SQLite Editor, and then manually added the APN to the Carriers table in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony.database/telephony.db.
That did the trick, the new APN shows up in the APN menu, and now I have data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones