• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GTA Mini map game

The Stitch

Lurker
Aug 8, 2014
So, I've been playing a bit of GTAV and got to thinking about the minimap.
I figured that it must be some kind of underground crime networking app that shows you the nearest nut with a gun, and in exchange your location is sent out as well, as long as the app is running (could be on background, too, until it's closed).
So, I thought of a neat idea where people can put up an account and join the network of players. It would take you off the map when you quit, and you can blend back into the crowd.
Now, I assume you could use the phone camera to target their shirt color, use GPS and WiFi for a name tag, and a high score system on social media. Also if it's not illegal, add airsoft guns into the mix for a true GTA experience! Also maybe crop out a zone for a match.
If you're a bit fuzzy about the idea, look at "Zombie, Run!" And you should get the idea.
I'm new around here, so sorry if it's ambitious.

Probably the best way to achieve such a thing is to have the application send the phone location to a server that determines nearby phones. You can create a google map encapsulated in a circle of say... 50m. Then each person within 50m will be shown on the map.

First things first, the application would need to send the location at a regular interval. This can be a drain on the battery. You'd want the location to be updated fairly frequent, say... every 5-10 seconds.

Now while that is running in the background, you want to display the map with the phones location and direction. That way when the user turns, the map will update and turns with it. You will probably want to keep the thing centered as well, and not allow the user to move or resize the map.

Now, before i get ahead of myself, this is important. You want to keep the updates synced. This means timing. You don't want everyone to be out of sync and updating at different times. You probably want to have an external clock to sync to, like a time server. That way everyone's app is on the same time.

Now, to kill two birds with on stone, when the phone sends the update of the locations, it should get back the locations of everyone within 50m and display them on the map. This will save on time and not having to make a second request to the server.

Now, if this wasn't already complicated and big and scary and is actually something that people have thought of, as seen in movies, you want to add more. Which is cool, don't get me wrong.

Now then, you want cameras and labels and tags and etc.

The camera, that could take a bit of hacking and chopping and a special place in hell if you get it to work (jk btw). It's possible. Just a lot of work and effort.

Highscore system, no problem. Just prop up another computer with a server running and there you go. Okay, i lied, it will take more than that. But it's no problem.

Airsoft.... Airsoft. Airsoft airsoft airsoft.. I hope you are writing this all down. That can get a bit.... Out of hand. Not illegal, just... out of hand. You'd have to plan events for different areas and inform the police that you are going to be in a vacant area doing this. Walking around shooting people with an airsoft gun may not look good to the police. Though if you are using the camera to do all the tagging and bagging, why would you need airsoft guns?

Now what will happen when you combine all of this together? A gajillion bugs to fix. Jk. A little joke programmers make.

Who will do this? Well, i hate to say it, but you would most likely have to be the one to do it. If you can find a developer willing to do it, look into his eyes and see the $$ in them and ask him how much. I bet he will say somewhere in the ballpark of $10Gs. Time is money and money is time. If you want someone to do this, best get out you check book and write out a big fat check for the man (or woman). Now, you could include him in a cut of the profit you make on the app because, lets face it, you will be charging people to use this app. Or you could get sponsors, maybe even a kickstarter (legal binding stuff, so much fun). But a programmer likes his money upfront and in cash (at least I do).

How long you ask? Don't expect anything solid for at least a month. I'd start with the location updates to the server and move forward logically from there, working on the camera stuff last.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones