• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [[GUIDE]] Apps To SD

Here is the right simpler way right from the manuals.

Moving applications
To manage the internal storage efficiently, you can move applications from
phone to the microSD card.
1 From the Home screen, tap Apps/Settings Icon/ Apps.
2 Tap the downloaded application and then tap Move to SD card.

May not move pre-installed apps. But at least internal storage won't be filled up.

Upvote 0
I decided to start a new thread because I've been sifting through the threads here and it seems folks are still having trouble moving apps to sd. You can do this by simply adding two lines to the build prop. You'll have to go to settings/apps and move them from there. Some apps do not allow this, but just check each app installed and see which ones give you this option.

The two lines are..
ro.lge.capp_osp=true
ro.lge.capp_move_sdcard=true

Here's a screen shot of where to place them
https://db.tt/YoN8ULa9

UPDATE:
If you want to move more apps this is the only app I've found without partioning the sd to move.. It is a paid app but well worth it. The free version only allows five apps to be moved.

F2SD
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.pruss.force2sd

@swainsmith82 Tried installing F2SD and gave me an error that I didn't have enough space for installation. I have .96GB on internal and over 12GB on external. I DID add the two lines to BuildProp. Suggestions anyone??

Upvote 0
@swainsmith82 Tried installing F2SD and gave me an error that I didn't have enough space for installation. I have .96GB on internal and over 12GB on external. I DID add the two lines to BuildProp. Suggestions anyone??

For some reason, editing the build.prop file on my phone didn't enable moving apps to SD, whether through the App manager or using a third party app like A2SD.

What did ultimately work for me was to reformat the external SD card to contain an ext4 partition of some desired size large enough for the apps you will be using, and then format the remainder as FAT32 as its formatted normally.

Then with an app called Link2SD, you install and run it to find the location of ext4 partition and if successful, you can then symbolically "link" your apps to external SD. This is different than simply using Move to SD or A2SD since those attempt to move the app to SD, which is unsupported. But by creating symbolic links on an ext4 partition, you fool the OS into seeing the apps on internal memory when in fact they're linked from the external SD.

This is what worked for me. Phone runs smoothly with the bulk of that memory on ext SD. It also helps to have a class 10 SD card. Some apps seem to break when linking them, so don't go crazy automatically linking all of them at once. You will likely mess up your phone, but you could go back and unlink them. It shouldn't brick your phone or anything like that. Like I mentioned, on some models editing build.prop and using A2SD may end up working just fine.

Upvote 0
First off I would like to say thank you for posting this method. it worked wonders for my MetroPCS LG Optimus L9 Smart Phone. I would like to know if this same method can be done with the LG Optimus F3 from Virgin Mobile. The Phone is rooted. Please let me know. Thanks :)

Yes it should work just fine on the F3.
Make sure you have a nandroid backup just in case something goes wrong, as you should anytime your editing the build prop or making changes to the system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones