• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Brick Recovery

This guide is intended for recovering from a brick where you can't access recovery or boot the phone. If you can do either of these, you are not bricked and this guide is an extreme solution to your problem. Access to download mode and a computer is required.

Several of the files have an MD5 listed below them. You can use this to verify that the file downloaded correctly. Install this hash checker and compare the MD5 of your file to the one listed. (Android MD5 Checker)

Step 1 - Gather materials for zv3 downgrade
What you will need:
zv3 stock tot file - DL to computer
MD5 = 0D7AAAFB6742CEAB7BCAEECBAE3C1F39
LG Flash Tool 1.8, Megalock, and LS740 - DL to computer
MD5= C1825BA208611B23B9B0D4aBDD0C5731
LG Universal Drivers - DL to computer

Thanks to everyone else who contributed time and knowledge to getting this stuff working!

I am unable to download the following files. Keep getting "too many redirect" error. Are these files hosted on any other websites besides androidfilehost.com? Thank in advance.

Spunky168
"The Original Taepo Dong"

Upvote 0
I am unable to download the following files. Keep getting "too many redirect" error. Are these files hosted on any other websites besides androidfilehost.com? Thank in advance.

Spunky168
Looks like it was a system issue:
SYSTEM NOTICE: We are working on the load balancer's. You may get a few 502 error pages but if you refresh they will go away. This will be fixed shortly.

Reactions: spunky168
Upvote 0
Okay, so I got the files downloaded. Seems androidfilehost was migrating. Now I can't boot into download mode. It just keeps loop booting back into CWM Recovery v6.0.3.7 despite following the first post instructions. Anyone have any additional advice? Thank you.

Spunky168

Why do you even have CWM installed? You should be using TWRP.

Holding Vol+ while plugging in the USB with the phone off is the only way I know of to get the phone in download mode. There's probably an adb command you could try, but it likely won't work. I don't know if that CWM is part of your issue? What's wrong with your phone?

Upvote 0
Why do you even have CWM installed? You should be using TWRP.

Holding Vol+ while plugging in the USB with the phone off is the only way I know of to get the phone in download mode. There's probably an adb command you could try, but it likely won't work. I don't know if that CWM is part of your issue? What's wrong with your phone?

My understanding from the phone owner is the following: she had originally rooted her phone when this forum (LG Volt at its infancy)started and at that time CWM was the only working recovery. She was running ZV5 rooted deodex full rom. Everything was fine until she got a notice and took the OTA update unaware that she should not have. After downloading, and installing the OTA update, her phone went into CWM recovery and no matter what option she picks, it bootloops back into CWM recovery even if she chooses "power off"

I am glad I am no longer using the Volt even though I have some strange affinity to try to make this phone work again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Spunky168

Upvote 0
My understanding from the phone owner is the following: she had originally rooted her phone when this forum (LG Volt at its infancy)started and at that time CWM was the only working recovery. She was running ZV5 rooted deodex full rom. Everything was fine until she got a notice and took the OTA update unaware that she should not have. After downloading, and installing the OTA update, her phone went into CWM recovery and no matter what option she picks, it bootloops back into CWM recovery even if she chooses "power off"

I am glad I am no longer using the Volt even though I have some strange affinity to try to make this phone work again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Spunky168

Will this http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7281141 work? Or is that only if you already have twrp? What I don't understand is how she only got the update now if it came out like eight months ago and it nags you to update it.

Reactions: spunky168
Upvote 0
Will this http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7281141 work? Or is that only if you already have twrp? What I don't understand is how she only got the update now if it came out like eight months ago and it nags you to update it.
andMego,

A thousand thanks. I took your advice and followed the link. I had to modify the instructions and scripts slightly but the phone is out of bootloop. TWRP is installed and the phone is back to its manufacturer's original state. Now I have to get to work and root it and declutter. My friend and I owe you big time.

Thanks a lot.

Spunky168

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
i had installed twrp and a custom rom on my lg volt but i formated the sd card and when i rebooted i got stuck in a recover bootloop so i booted into download mode and tried this and it said failed because the model number does not match, my model number says x5 because of the custom rom is there any way i can get around this?

also my phone is zv6 version if that matters

Last edited:
Reactions: andMego
Upvote 0
could really use some help the lg flash tool says

pid: ct66s141028006617
imei: 9900035556921167
model: X5
dll: ls740
bin: ls740zv3_17.33030_secure.tot
swv: ls740zv6 01
swov: ls740zv6_01
device model is diffrent
check phone or dll

checked my imei on a different site and it says this if this helps

IMEI:990003556921167
Model:LGLS740P
Suffix:ASPRWHH

Upvote 0
could really use some help the lg flash tool says

pid: ct66s141028006617
imei: 9900035556921167
model: X5
dll: ls740
bin: ls740zv3_17.33030_secure.tot
swv: ls740zv6 01
swov: ls740zv6_01
device model is diffrent
check phone or dll

checked my imei on a different site and it says this if this helps

IMEI:990003556921167
Model:LGLS740P
Suffix:ASPRWHH

While you are waiting for someone to answer you I would suggest you read the rest of this thread and the other threads like this (for example http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/1048039/ although I'm pretty sure you aren't as badly bricked as that guy was)
Also I suggest you try a different computer or and make sure you installed the right drivers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While you are waiting for someone top answer you I would suggest you read the rest of this thread and the other threads like this (for example http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/1048039/ although I'm pretty sure you aren't as badly bricked as that guy was)
Also I suggest you try a different computer or and make sure you installed the right drivers

ha i had tried the trwp bootloop fix but it didnt work before i used the twrp version listed on the page but i had iinstalled 3.0 i just now redownloaded 3.0 flashed it and BAM it worked.

thanks for the help

Reactions: andMego
Upvote 0
So I noticed this guide is used for phones that arent able to get into stock recovery.. well I'm wondering what is my next step? My phone is stuck in a boot loop.. I've tried clearing cache from stock recovery, did not work.. Whats my next step to avoid losing all my info on the phone? I don't have a backup available.. Stock recovery gives me option to update via external sd, adb, etc... or to reformat...

I downloaded all the stuff here needed.. but would like to try to save photos before I go thru with full replacement.

Upvote 0
Sorry i got stuck in fastboot mode can someone help me? i never get to download screen.

I reade something in other website about some laf.img but i dont know how to restore that so i can get back my download mode, please help me? :(
I am having the same problem.....I read the same thing about laf.img . The fix was to grab a copy of radio.img from a ROM and flash with fastboot. I tried this but it didn't work for me. My problem started with a bootloop. I hope someone will respond and you get some help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones