• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How to make a bootable CWM (ClockWorkMod) or TWRP bootable sd card (06-04-2013)

Looks like you're following this guide (Nook Tablet): [DEV] [ROM] CM9 for Nook Tablet Alpha 0.06 - xda-developers

See if you have a microphone hole on the top of your Nook, opposite side from the headphone jack. If you have a mic, you have the Nook Tablet, which won't work with my guide or files (which only work with the Nook Color).

If you don't have the microphone hole, you can use my guide and sdcard, but you need a different file to flash.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I'm not as clever as I thought I was.

I've had my Nook Color for about 6 months. I bought it with the idea that eventually I would try the dual boot from SD card. I've been enjoying the stock Nook, but was a little annoyed that I couldn't get some of the same apps free that I have on my Samsung Galaxy (player only).

I had some time this week so I went looking at posts,and thought the above was the way to do it. Now I'm not a tech person -- I'm an admin at a university and I work with a lot of tech people, so I apparently know just enough to be dangerous.

I had a SanDisk 4GB microdisk, and from that I followed the instructions above to download the win32 and winrar, and the 4gb_twrp_2.1.1.rar and installed the following (I

Upvote 0
Nightly builds are always iffy. They aren't well tested.

Mirage is a good rom: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...age-kang-build-cyanogenmod-available-now.html It's a IC9 themed/tweaked version of CM7. CM9 is a bit too much rom for the under-powered NC.

Did you check out the sticky at the top of the page? There's a back to stock section there to get you back to stock. Nook Color rooting and rom guide... READ ME FIRST!

Roms on the sdcard will eventually fail. You might get a year out of one, more or less depending on how much you use it.

Upvote 0
If you're not good at technology, I bet you know someone who is (work, neighbor kid). Who fixes your computer when you screw it up? :D

What do you hope to do?

• Replace the stock rom on your NC with a CM7, giving you a 7" tablet that can also read books, or
  • Root your NC, keeping the stock B&N software and reader, but allow installing apps from Google Play Store, giving you a reader that can also do other things?

In other words, do you read a lot of books on your NC?

Upvote 0
colchiro, I tried to use your method, but I couldn't figure out how to do it on a Mac. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff. I used this video. Root Nook Color 1.4.1/1.4.2 (MAC) - YouTube

Everything went as planned, but I continue to get a message saying: the process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. this force closes whatever I'm trying to do. (sometimes this will happen during the boot up or right after, but mainly when I try to access something using the internet...)

I tried to do the following which helped some people.
settings>storage used>media storage>clear data
no luck there. should I try to start over, or do you have any ideas?

I don't even know how to start over...

thanks, dan

Upvote 0
Sounds like you forgot to clear one of the caches or you installed incompatible files.

What was the exact name of the rom and Google apps you installed? :D

When you install via a video, it could be quite old.

To clear the caches:

You need to boot into recovery, and format cache and (under advanced) clear Dalvik cache.

Assuming you can get into Rom Manager:

Open Rom Manager.

If you've never used recovery before, Tap the top option to "Flash CWM Recovery". Scroll down about two screens and choose "Nook Color". You should get a "Superuser Request"... tap "Allow", followed by "Success".

Now tap "boot into recovery".

1. (To use recovery, up/down volume buttons are used to navigate up and down, press the power button to go back, and press the "n" button to do the highlighted task. Only briefly press the buttons since it's easy to skip a step by holding down a button too long.)
  2. Press up or down volume button until "mounts and storage" is highlighted, press "n" button.
  3. use up/down to highlight "format /cache", press "n"
  4. highlight "yes - format", press "n" (always watch for errors)
  5. Press power button to return to the main menu.
  6. highlight the "advanced" menu, press "n"
  7. highlight "clear Dalvik cache", press "n"
  8. highlight "yes -format", press "n"
  9. press power button to go back until "reboot" is visible. Select "reboot system now", press "n".
Hopefully that works for you. I had to do it from memory.

If that doesn't work, it's time to start over by copying a new rom and gApps (the latest) to you sdcard and install from recovery. You could download via Rom Manager and update via step 2 here: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/352736-guide-how-install-cm7-your-nook-color.html

Upvote 0
Question..I boot to sd card and get the different options to select in clockwork recovery.I slected install zip from sd card and select7.2 and then google apps.then i selected option to reboot system now.It then goes into cyn 7. Is there a way to get it to boot into cyn7 without coming to that page with options? I want my nephew to be able to just turn it on and use it.

Upvote 0
one more question. i have the most updated google apps installed. When i go into market i can download a game but then when i hit arrow to go back and select another game to download the market crashes. It has been crashing multiple times on two different nook colors i have. Any ides on why its happening? never mind it updated to google play from market on its own and now its fine.

Upvote 0
I recently had to reverse the rooting of my Nook Color back to stock because it became unstable ( I think I got a virus from an email I opened up from Craigslist). I am trying to create a dual boot SD card. I have downloaded Clockwork Mod Recovery file and unzipped it. I have attempted to burn the img file to a 32gb SD card usuing win32diskimager. I then have attempted to copy my boot.zip file to the card. When I attempt to do this the computer asks me if i want to format the card. what do I do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones