• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How to make a bootable CWM (ClockWorkMod) or TWRP bootable sd card (06-04-2013)

Upvote 0
Hello. Followed your guide and successfully rooted my Nook Color this evening. The hardest part was finding the image file for the bootable SD card. Finally figured out I could use the CWM image from the link at post 151 above. I was getting hung up on the numbers not matching up. Worked like a charm. Now I just have to figure out how to navigate around on the new critter. Thanks for the guide!

Upvote 0
OK, so I found post 151, I have two clockworkmod images... but how do I burn them on a Mac? The link in the first post to how to do this tells me to use the Mac DiskUtility but this simply doesn't work and I cannot find any advice elsewhere on how to do this. Help?

DiskUtility says "Restore Failure: Could not validate source - invalid argument"

I should add I am fairly new to the Mac, so apologies if I have missed something obvious. This is however the first time my Mac has given me a completely useless and unhelpful error message (something quite common on Windows of course)...

Upvote 0
the guide makes sence to me. what im having a problem with is makeing it bootable. tried it once with an internal install. it booted to CWM.then i decided to be safe and run off the card install insted. so now i wrote files to card with no problem. when i go to drop CM10 and gapps on card it says its full. my 2gb card now reads 115mb total space. repete steps with 2 different card. same outcome. repete all cards with different adapters. same problem. ive also tried a few different bootable files. im running windows xp, verified nook color. now pc freezes up when any card is put in it but thats another issue.

Upvote 0
so i followed tut for internal install. flashed zips. when i reboot recovery, it boots to CM10 not CWM. so doesnt sound like the CWM didnt flash correctly? i tried it with TWRP as well. i no i can use bootable card for backup, but it would be nice to have on nook. im thinkn im in wrong place for this question. havent met requirements to post on XDA. colchiro seems to have a wealth on knowledge over here.

Upvote 0
Sorry, it's not working for you. When you try to boot into recovery, is it with your bootable sdcard removed? I recommend preserving that 2 gb bootable card for an emergency, since it'll barely hold one backup (if any).

How did you get TWRP on it, via Goo Manager? (settings button, install openrecovery script). BTW, last I checked, no device would install TWRP via Goo. I suspect it's their new server update.

Upvote 0
When I try to boot recovery I hold power, options pop up. Power off or reboot. No reboot recovery option. Choose reboot. Then cm10 just boots. That's with the center boot card out. And yes I'm keeping that card saved for emergency. I never got recovery to work besides the bookable one. I'll try goo manager

Upvote 0
Hello,

I installed CM7 from a bootable sd. It is a nook color, and CM7 boots and connects to my WIFI just fine. The problem I'm running into is that Google won't let me sign into my account. It tells me "Your username and password do not match. Please try again." I've tried multiple times and I am typing in the pw correctly (I checked it on my laptop). I'm using gapps-gb-20110828-signed. Please Help!

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones