• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] USB Tether Sprint HTC Hero CDMA!

Insanefury

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Setup: (This setup is not required but is what I have running when it works)
I downloaded HTC sync 2.0.4 from
http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNew...31&news_id=222
Install HTC sync
Backup the Driver folder from Program File>HTC>HTC Driver
Now Uninstall HTC Sync, You only want to keep the Drivers for MNS.
Now plug in your phone go to Settings>Wireless controls
Turn on Mobile network
Turn on MNS or Mobile Network Sharing
It will try to connect but fail instead leave it. Now on the Computer it should ask to install the Android phone drivers, in this case choose manual install and point it to the drivers in the folder you just backed up.
If it doesn't ask you to install simply go to hardware management and install it manually from there.
Also I am running vista 32bit on my laptop.

Method:
Now this method works by taking advantage of a race condition in the phone.
Essentially you want to get MNS to establish a connection to your computer BEFORE the mobile network can establish a connection with internet. (Hence where signal strength and lag play a key roll)
Make sure wifi is turned off, make sure you are plugged into the computer and have installed the MNS drivers, I have USB debugging enabled but i don't think that makes a difference.

Steps:
1. Turn off Mobile Network and MNS
2. Go to Mobile network settings
3. Select Mode of Operation switch to 1x-only
4. Go back one page
5. Turn on Mobile network
6. Quickly Turn on MNS also
7. If MNS connects before Mobile network you should be tethered now If not turn off Mobile network and MNS and repeat steps 5-6.
8. If successfully tethered go back to Mobile network settings and turn Mode of Operation back to Evdo or Hybrid.

Screen shots or it didn't happen!
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1745/p4131282.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8944/p4131284.jpg

Got it working! After about 50 unsucessful tries, im finally connected. For those of you still having problems give this a try. After you connect the USB to the PC, and your Mobile Network setting is disabled, go to the browser on your phone and browse to a webpage. It will say it needs an internet connection. At that point, go back to the phone settings and turn on Mobile network and MNS. Make sure you are connecting with 1X only. Once connected, you can change it to Hybrid.

Worked for me. Hopefully this helps someone!

Upvote 0
Hi,
I followed all the steps above, but can't get my hero to connect to the internet, I can see that the driver is installed in device manager, and in wireless network is connected but only Local, I have my wireless adapter turned off. I get an error 67 message, on my phone.
I have USB debugging on and running vista 32bit.
Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
All you do is install htc sync, call sprint and ask them add pam to your account, then plug usb cable, just turn MNS on then it connected right away without hiccup.. Evdo with half bar signal, it give me 600 kbps download, 250 kbps upload. Few steps... works on any venison of windows.. My hero won't let me tether with pdanet.

Upvote 0
All you do is install htc sync, call sprint and ask them add pam to your account, then plug usb cable, just turn MNS on then it connected right away without hiccup.. Evdo with half bar signal, it give me 600 kbps download, 250 kbps upload. Few steps... works on any venison of windows.. My hero won't let me tether with pdanet.
Sprint won't add PAM to an Everything plan.

Upvote 0
Well finally I was able to install pdanet to my vista laptop, I was getting 104-105 error on pdanet, and I was told some drivers from htc sync may be causing that even though I uninstalled them already.
I did a registry cleaning and found a bunch of code referencing the hct drivers that I had previously uninstalled, did a registry clean and run pdanet again this time was able to install.
I writing this connected to my htc hero on my dell laptop!

May be this may help someone with similar problems.

Upvote 0
Once the drivers are installed, this works flawlessly for me every time. I did not bother to uninstall anything before giving it a try. This is really the best way to do this. No hassle connection every time. It will be interesting to see if Sprint will scold you for this blatant infraction of your contract. This is a true no hack application of the Hero's capabilities accourding to the documentation of the phone. It's just how you choose to turn things on and off that makes it work. The race condition has worked from the inception of the Sprint Hero and has survide the upgrade. This is a good sign.

Upvote 0
Well I am running Vista, not 7, but for me I never established a connection on the computer. Once I clicked on the mobile sharing option on my phone, internet was automatically tethered onto my computer and I had access on it.

Assuming all your drivers and installed correctly and everything, just follow the procedure listed above (switch to 1x, turn on mobile network, turn on MNS asap, and hope it triggers on before the mobile network does). It may take a while for it to work, takes me an average of 3-5 times before it actually works.

Upvote 0
What are the speeds most are getting with this method? I have a work Blackberry Curve that has PAM enabled so I use that most the time. My Blackberry is a Rev A however when it runs as PAM it only runs as a Rev 0. So far the only things I have seen run at Rev A are the little USB mobile internet keys. If I do this method with my Hero, will I still get Rev 0 or since the phone is Rev A and your pretty much bypassing Sprint connection software, will it run as Rev A?

Obviously if it runs the same speed as the blackberry, I will not risk violation of my contract and just keep using the blackberry for internet connection.

Upvote 0
IDK about the Rev 0, 1, A stuff you are talking about but when I had the Curve using ThetherBerry and then switched to the Hero using PDAnet I noticed it was significantly faster. Before I couldn't really watch YouTube or Hulu videos without it being very choppy but now for the most part they play smoothly. I did a speedtest and got 2.5mb/s download and 300kb/s upload.

Upvote 0
I'm having real trouble trying to tether my Hero.
I've got the latest version of Sync on here and can connect the phone in USB mode for file transfer etc.
As soon as I go to use the mobile network sharing, windows 7 tries to install the driver but it fails.

Device manager shows it in other devices but I cant find a driver to install it.

Anyone got a walk through on this.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
I'm having real trouble trying to tether my Hero.
I've got the latest version of Sync on here and can connect the phone in USB mode for file transfer etc.
As soon as I go to use the mobile network sharing, windows 7 tries to install the driver but it fails.

Device manager shows it in other devices but I cant find a driver to install it.

Anyone got a walk through on this.

Thanks!!

Try use windows xp installition cd when it ask you to find driver then browse that cd. Windows 7 doesn't have that driver yet

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones