• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hands on with the Incredible

lamoglinsgal

Android Expert
Jun 23, 2010
Virginia
I got it yesterday! FedEx was nice enough to deliver it just fifteen minutes before I had leave to pick up my boys from daycare. Thanks a lot!

Anyhow, keep in mind that I am totally indecisive. I originally ordered the Incredible, but got jerked around a bit on my shipping date an decided to switch to the X. I got it and first thought, "DANG! This is a whole lotta phone!" But after playing with it, I grew to love everything about it but the size. I previously had an original Moto Droid, so it wasn't a hard transition. But the size is two-fold. It's awesome for typing, browsing, media, etc., but a lot to carry on a daily basis.

So I'm near the end of my 30 days with the X and decided to try the Incredible. I got it yesterday and immediately plugged it in. I wanted to do the "bump charge" method, but after the light turned green, when I plugged it in again, it remained green. (I thought the idea was plug it in 'til green, unplug, replug until green again. :thinking:)

The first thing I noticed is the display is much more vibrant than the X. The X screen is great, but when you have something to compare it to, there's a noticeable difference.

Then the camera. WOW! I am totally impressed with the Incred's camera! It takes much better indoor shots than my X. The X was grainy, but the Incred's are crystal clear. I haven't taken it outside yet, though.

Now, remember that first line about being indecisive. I was playing with both last night and realized that my signal on the X was several bars higher than the Incredible. I also got quite a few errors on my Incredible while doing the same things with my X, which had no errors. (I don't remember what they were. Uncaught exceptions, force close, etc.) It freaked me out and I reactivated my X. :eek:

I woke up this morning and decided to finish out my weekend test drive and reactivated the Incredible. Man, the boys and gals of VZW just LOVE me. So far so good. No errors whatsoever.

Back to that signal bar issue. DON'T LOOK AT THE SIGNAL BAR! I checked the dbm on both in the same spot and they were almost identical, even though the X was showing more bars.

A few little things that bug me - very minor, but still an annoyance. I don't like that I can't change the color of the LED on the Incredible like I could my X. I have a work and personal email that I like to be able to "see." I guess this is a hardware issue and won't be fixable. :thinking:

I also noticed that in Handcent, for example, there are more options for the X than the Incredible. MINOR options, but why? You can't change the notification icon on the Incredible, but you can the X? Where's the love?

Finally, disabling the lock screen. On the Moto Droid, I used No Lock and it ran perfectly using either the lock button, or just the camera button, which I used, to wake up the phone. On the X, it's a setting and allows you to hit the home button instead of reaching up to the lock button. On the Incredible, No Lock works, but it's hit or miss with the joystick. I'm sure they will fix this eventually. I just hate having to reach up to the unlock button. I usually ended up pressing the volume buttons in the process.

Overall, all of the things I DON'T like about the Incredible (aside from the errors I was getting) are minor enough not to sway me either way. At this point, I'm 80 percent sure I'm keeping the Incredible.

By the way, the Incredible stock ringtones rock over the X's! I even downloaded the zip of them and put them on my X "just in case." :D

One last thing. After my initial charge, I was having the "permawake" issue. My up time and awake time were identical. I rebooted the phone, and it seemed to take care of it. Also, I charged yesterday around 4:30 p.m., and didn't put it back on charge until 12:00 today. However, remember, cold feet, deactivated it, so it wasn't syncing (wifi was off) overnight. But that wasn't bad battery wise since I woke up and was playing with it non-stop!

Oh, forgot to add - I know, long enough already!

SENSE! This is the first time I've really used Sense. As far as the widgets go, I'm not really using any of them. I've also switched to LauncherPro - personal preference. However, there is still a definite difference between Sense and Blur. It's a lot smoother and everything flows nicely.

Upvote 0
Glad you're (possibly) being swayed to the Incredible. I love mine.

A couple of things in response to your post:

- bump charging does make a difference. what you're gonna wanna do is charge the phone while it's ON. then turn the phone OFF and you'll notice the charging light turn to amber color. after about 15-20 mins it will turn green. turn the phone back on and then unplug.

- for your locking situation, you should spend a couple of bucks and purchase widget locker. not only does it allow the joystick to unlock, but you can also put often-used widgets on the lock screen.

Enjoy! :)

Upvote 0
The one thing I didn't like about the Incredible is battery life, which led to me disliking SenseUI because once I flashed a different ROM that had sense removed I got tripple the battery life. That being said, I'll still take this over the X. The way our work shirts have a pen pocket stitched in, the Incredible just perfectly fits my shirt pocket for one. Also Linpack scores are almost double on the Incredible for some reason. And once I got my custom ROM on there and got the (admittedly ugly) extended life battery installed, I've got a few days of runtime now.

Upvote 0
I was playig with an X the other day in the Verizon store, and holy shit it's huge! I don't think i'd be able to type with one hand on it easily...it was hard to try because it was tethered on. The screen is nice, but it's like a small tablet more than a phone. Can't imagine holding it to my face....

Plus the on/off button isi n the middle - weird.

i love my incredible!

Upvote 0
I have both devices and I like both. The Dinc scrolls better than the X using senseui or launcher pro plus. I do enjoy the bigger screen on the X. The crispness of the screen is very nice. I find the Motorola widgets to be somewhat generic looking. They are useable but seem unfinished. I like the option to resize the widgets. The camera on the Dinc is superior from what I've seen although I believe it's a software issue. If you get "Vignette" from the market and select "steady shot" or "fixed focus" in the settings the pictures greatly improve on the Droid X. Battery life is similar in my experience. You really cant go wrong with either device.

Upvote 0
I have both devices and I like both. The Dinc scrolls better than the X using senseui or launcher pro plus. I do enjoy the bigger screen on the X. The crispness of the screen is very nice. I find the Motorola widgets to be somewhat generic looking. They are useable but seem unfinished. I like the option to resize the widgets. The camera on the Dinc is superior from what I've seen although I believe it's a software issue. If you get "Vignette" from the market and select "steady shot" or "fixed focus" in the settings the pictures greatly improve on the Droid X. Battery life is similar in my experience. You really cant go wrong with either device.

I agree. And yes, the Moto widgets are very generic looking. Almost like they were an afterthought. I didn't really use any of them, so it wasn't an issue.

I found today by total accident that you can now resize widgets with LauncherPro Plus. I don't know if you can do it without the paid version, though.

So now, aside from screen size, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. :D

I've decided to send the X back. The Incredible just suits my needs better. Both are amazing devices, though.

Upvote 0
I agree with you about the signal. Mine is low but I've had no problems with dropped calls.

I was thinking the bump charge method was due to how long you had the phone on the charger? The way I read it, the phone charges until it's charged, then goes to idle mode (losing some of the charge). So if you take the phone off right when you see the green light come on, you're good. If you charge it overnight, it's been idling for a while and needs a bump back up to 100%. Is that correct?

Upvote 0
I agree with you about the signal. Mine is low but I've had no problems with dropped calls.

I was thinking the bump charge method was due to how long you had the phone on the charger? The way I read it, the phone charges until it's charged, then goes to idle mode (losing some of the charge). So if you take the phone off right when you see the green light come on, you're good. If you charge it overnight, it's been idling for a while and needs a bump back up to 100%. Is that correct?

I was just reading more about this and someone was saying that they have had no issue with the battery dropping immediately if they take it off of charge within minutes of the light turning green.

I charge my phone overnight, so I'm not awake when the light turns green. (Part of this is a little paranoia about my alarm not going off since my MotoDroid had a bad habit of dying, even on a full charge, if it wasn't plugged in overnight.) I'd much rather not have to turn my phone off at all, but if it works, it works. Hopefully it IS a software bug and can be fixed with an update.

The day I got the phone, I pulled if off the charger without bump charging at 5:30 p.m. I had to plug it in the next day around 12:00 p.m. Last night, I was up late and finished the bump charge around 1:30 a.m. The phone has been off the charger since then, and now, at 9:30 p.m., the indicator turned orange. But the phone sat idle overnight. But, after sitting overnight, still pushing emails, etc., the indicator was still full this morning and took a while to drop.

Tomorrow will be a better test since I'm going to charge overnight, which will be my regular routine.

Upvote 0
You can't change the notification icon on the Incredible, but you can the X? Where's the love?

Actually, you can. Go to Settings (the star in the right hand corner), Notification Settings, and then touch the down arrow next to Notification Settings. Then touch Notification Icon and select the icon of your choice. You can also change the notification icon for individual contacts. With a text message from that person open, just follow the same steps above.

Reactions: james81
Upvote 0
Actually, you can. Go to Settings (the star in the right hand corner), Notification Settings, and then touch the down arrow next to Notification Settings. Then touch Notification Icon and select the icon of your choice. You can also change the notification icon for individual contacts. With a text message from that person open, just follow the same steps above.

Wow! Now I feel like a crazy person! I could swear that wasn't there before! :eek: It's in the exact same spot it should be. :eek: I didn't know you could change it for specific contacts. Thanks for that. :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Very nice I didnt know that. I learn something new every day ;)

Upvote 0

does not seem to work. i made the color change however the color seems to stay the stock color. rebooted the phone still nothing.

thoughts? has anyone else changed the color.?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones