• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

vobguy

Nov 16, 2011
Virginia
I do not yet have this phone. In fact I was going to buy it today, but then read that the battery cannot be removed.

On my Epic4G, I like the fact that I can remove the battery for several reasons:

• If there is a glitch/hang and the phone becomes unresponsive, I just have to pull the battery to restart it.
  • If the phone becomes very very warm and unresponsive I can pull the battery (not sure what I would do with the Photon Q, throw it in water???)
  • For long trips or something like going to a race, game, or amusement park, I am able to swap in a new battery if I use it up.

I am willing to lose the ability to swap in a new battery, possibly. I figure if I can bring a battery, I can also bring some sort of USB charger to recharge the phone, even if it might be unwieldy while charging , at times.

But the other two I am not sure how to deal with. I don't want to go to the Sprint store every time my phone gets stuck, nor do I want to have to ruin a phone to avoid it dangerously hot.

I have read some reviews where the phone does hang, and also where it has gotten warm. But I don't know how prevalent that is with the Photon Q. Has anyone had either happen with their Q, and has anyone heard whether either issue is a common problem?

TIA

I'm a current Photon Q user, and former Epic user. Granted, I do miss the ability to swap batteries, but the benefits of switching, outweigh the drawbacks.

Without the ability to remove the battery, you do a hard reset of a non-responsive phone, by holding down the power key and the volume up (maybe vol down, one of the two) buttons simultaneously, for about 15 seconds. I think I've needed it once. This phone has been more stable than the Epic was.

I've experienced the excessive heat issue, but it's not a chronic problem. When it happens, I just go through the list of running apps, and shut them down. On Android 4.0, that's much easier to do, than it was on the stock Epic 2.3 software. That clears the problem up.

Hope this makes your decision easier. I say go for it.

Reactions: vobguy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones