• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has ANYONE gotten custom SMS notifications to work reliably?

timk65

Lurker
Oct 17, 2013
Android indicates it can do this by offering to set a notification tone to a contact. I've gotten it to work for a few weeks at a time, but it always stops working. Or perhaps it was only Handcent that made it work, I can't remember. I installed Textra but it doesn't solve the problem either. I have about two dozen apps installed, all business apps, shopping or banking. I don't install junk crap on my phone, so I doubt seriously that it's an app I installed causing this. I've assigned a custom notification to several contacts and not one of them works, they all use the default notification. I can't believe it's supposed to be like this. Is my phone busted, or is android? I also can't believe something this important doesn't work, it's just absurd.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones