• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root have S-off, but can't flash any kernels successfully???

rancur3p1c

Dec 8, 2012
I've tried MAC Kernel v3 from XDA,
CoolZ Evo 3D,
Jmz 2012-09-02 and 2012-09-07
Running Virgin Mobile ICS 4.0.3 1.13.652.2 (note, this is the same as Sprint Evo 3D version 2.2.whatever).

Even when a flash "succeeds" (CoolZ, install script in 4ext tells me it succeeds), I boot up and things like wifi don't work, I go look at Kernel version in Settings->About and it's still the same as stock.
With Jmz, I get some error 7 or something from 4ext, and I *think* it complains about writing to /boot. This is really confusing to me seeing as I have S-Off with JuoponutBear's S-off 1.57.5757 HBOOT.

I will paste error verbatim tomorrow just wondering why, if I have S-off, I'm having these problems. Sheesh, seems this unlocking stuff just getting more complicated by the day... :D

Feel free to chime in on this Scotty, Brian or Don if I'm wrong.

Thinking here that since your on hboot 1.57 you have an Evo v 4g and not sprints 3d.

In this case you'll need to flash a v 4g kernel and not a 3d kernel.

DS

DS is correct.

You have a virgin mobile evo v(cdma) and as such,need to flash cdma kernels. GSM hboot is 1.53 :)

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
DS is correct.

You have a virgin mobile evo v(cdma) and as such,need to flash cdma kernels. GSM hboot is 1.53 :)

OK That's what I thought.

I was under the impression the Evo 3D CDMA kernels would work, but since they don't seem to be, hence my thread. If anyone could link some kernels that aught to work, that will help me make sure I'm on the same page as everyone. Do I need to be using specifically Virgin Mobile kernels? I read on XDA that the VM Evo V 4g is identical hardware-wise to the EVO-3d.

Updated first post with ROM info (completely stock, rooted)

Upvote 0
OK That's what I thought.

I was under the impression the Evo 3D CDMA kernels would work, but since they don't seem to be, hence my thread. If anyone could link some kernels that aught to work, that will help me make sure I'm on the same page as everyone. Do I need to be using specifically Virgin Mobile kernels? I read on XDA that the VM Evo V 4g is identical hardware-wise to the EVO-3d.

Updated first post with ROM info (completely stock, rooted)

I think you can install the Evo 3d kernels. At least for sure I know Buttered Toast works with both. I'm not really up on my kernels but I think some are built for sense based roms and some are built for AOSP roms. This may be where you're hitting problems.

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
I think you can install the Evo 3d kernels. At least for sure I know Buttered Toast works with both. I'm not really up on my kernels but I think some are built for sense based roms and some are built for AOSP roms. This may be where you're hitting problems.

Evo 3d kernels work great on the V.

If you are s-off, make sure smartflash is DISABLED in 4ext.

So I had the SmarthFlash enabled.
Just tried flashing MAC 3.0 from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1866375&highlight=+kernel+
but still no go. Just breaks Wifi, 4G. Kernel version stays same in settings->about.

I'm still on Juopunutbear's VM 1.57.5757, S-OFF, named Linux Ice Cream Sandwich (Virgin Mobile), downloaded from
Unlimited.IO

What gives? Really looking forward to a tweaked out Kernel.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Could be! You may want to try the hboot that they said works!

Another simple thing, are you wiping cache & dalvik before flashing? If not, it's worth a shot to try that first as it's simple!!

Hm, what Hboot that they said works?
I'm not flashing that rom or kernel...

I'm going to RUU back to completely stock, OTA update, and re-root + 4ext recovery from there and see if that helps installing kernels.

edit: why would you suggest clearing cache if the kernel flash is failing? This is a /boot writing problem, not to do with cache...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones