• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Have you dropped your Samsung Moment yet?

I dunked mine in a bucket of epoxy when I first got it, no problems yet! Aside from the slight deformation and screwdriver hash markings where I had to smash it (the screwdriver) in between the slide to open it (with a hammer *5lb sledge*) the first time. I've even thrown it off of a building (3 stories) to show how durable it is to my friends. It hit square on the face to concrete. I was KIND of worried, I didn't put a screen cover on after the epoxy coat, but it turned out to only be a slight scratch. The whole phone stayed in one piece, and I used it to make a call afterwards.

Truthfully.... I've put a screen cover on it to prevent minor scratches and hash marks that come from occasionally throwing my phone into my pocket with my car keys. I've dropped it twice, both on the back. I think that as long as it's on the back side, it's fine. If it's on the front, you're going to have some kind of damage show up.

Upvote 0
A unique series of events (caused by the program Locale) led to my Moment falling about 4 ft to the ground this morning. It landed face down on highly course/abrasive pavement (not smooth blacktop, but the kind made with small rocks). My cover flew off, the battery flew out, and my eyes bugged.

I'm happy to say that I only ended up with two very small scratches on the screen up near the Sprint logo, and about 7 hash marks on the silver plastic surrounding the screen, but nothing actually on the screen in the touch area.:D PHEW!

Upvote 0
- 1st major drop was pretty bad. Jumped off a snow hill and phone fell out of phone protector and hit hard on the rough parking lot pavement and into a small puddle. Damage was minimal, small scuff on earphone protector plug and a small crack to my clear screen protector.

- 2nd fall was again on concrete and again fell out of my old faulty phone cover. No damage

- other lesser falls occured with my phone protector still on

Upvote 0
I'm so upset, I got my samsung moment yesterday. Just dropped it, about a 1 foot fall, landed face down. The entire screen is in splintered cracks, it still works, BUT it looks horrible and this happened with another Samsung moment of my friends.

Does anyone know of replacing the screens at all?

Call sprint and tell them you have heard these phones break easily and decided you want to add insurance to your account. I think you have like 30 days to do it iirc. Then wait the 3 day waiting period and file an insurance claim and replace it for the $100 deductible. That will at least save you some cash.

If you're the honest type and want to save face just keep the insurance on your account for a few years to pay them back. I used it a few years ago on my instinct when I broke the screen on the 3rd day and I still have the insurance today.

Upvote 0
On my third moment since December. First one got a shattered screen (got broke in my pocket somehow breaking up a dogfight between a pit and a shepard), I used the insurance, paid $100, and got a remanufactured phone. The $7 a month insurance is for a remanned unit, NOT new...
Broke the second one in my pocket (again), cracked the screen right in half, not sure how THAT happened but it still worked. Fortunately for me, I had a software problem (the boot screen constantly recycled, never went past the flashing "samsung" screen) and got a new phone out of that.
I've dropped my third phone numerous times, and so far my only complaint is the battery cover comes off WAAAAY too easily...

Upvote 0
I dropped my old phone a lot, but I guess since I paid a pretty penny for this one it's given me super human reflexes. I've made some impressive saves that even the world cup goalies would be jealous of.

Haha, same here. Dropped mine once, though it was a small sized scuff to the bottom edge. But I am with you on the impressive saves after the initial drop. Love my Moment.

Upvote 0
Just shy of 6 months and I had my first drop yesterday. 3-4 foot drop, tried to cushion the fall by extending my foot to catch it and ended up kicking the thing screen side down (no screen protector or case...I go commando) across an unforgiving cement loading dock. It skided at least 15 feet before it hit the wall. The back piece and battery flew in opposite directions but once I put it back together...not a dent, blemish, scratch,etc.

Keep your EVOs and Iphones, this thing is built to take a beating.

Upvote 0
Just shy of 6 months and I had my first drop yesterday. 3-4 foot drop, tried to cushion the fall by extending my foot to catch it and ended up kicking the thing screen side down (no screen protector or case...I go commando) across an unforgiving cement loading dock. It skided at least 15 feet before it hit the wall. The back piece and battery flew in opposite directions but once I put it back together...not a dent, blemish, scratch,etc.

Same here. Have had my moment for a while now and has been dropped on several occasions.... each time I was like DANG! Held my breath as back and battery went in opposite directions... EACH time, just barely a scratch on the back cover....put it back together and BAM all worked like normal! ROCK ON!!!

Upvote 0
I had my Moment in a water proof boating bag (as an emergency GPS if we missed our pick up spot) and the canoe happened to capsize and go under an up rooted tree (and stayed there for about an hour) We managed to rescue all the gear (after figuring out how to rescue ourselves w/o drowning) but when we finally got the canoe out the bag had about 1/4 cup of water in it, and the phone was in the water (Powered off to begin with) I've let it dry a couple days and tried to plug in, and no response, gonna try to soak in high grade rubbing alcohol, because rice and argon haven't done it for me.

So: the moment; is not water proof, but I have dropped it a few times, stepped on it once, had it bounce onto my bed frame from a bad toss to the matress, and become an in-car missile durring heavy braking (back seat into console at 40mph) and no issues at all.
ie: Impact :) water :(

Upvote 0

I managed to misjudge a save and kicked mine, but no hard concrete. It ricocheted off the couch and and bounced across the carpet a couple of times. No biggie there. But...

I was using the screen as a flashlight about a month ago because the ceiling fan made a weird sound (ended up being that cover that hides the mount and wires coming loose from the mount and dropping a couple of inches. Still loud) and BOOM!!! - A fan blade whacked the phone pretty hard. The Wife was like "What was that?" and I was like "Uhh...nothing." Put a 2 inch mark across the screen protector but everything else is fine. It's not really something you think of when a noise wakes you at 2am, but turning off the fan before you stick your hand or head into the path of its spinning blades is a pretty good idea.

Upvote 0
I've dropped mine at least a dozen times--I'm a complete spaz. Hard drops, too, like falling out of my lap onto the pavement when I'm getting out of the car. And the most graceful--I tripped in a parking lot and fell flat on the ground, Moment went flying underneath a parked car. The back and battery as well as my case went all different directions. As of right now, I have one small ding on the outside edge of the slide.

I am most impressed with the screen. Through all of this, not a scratch on it. I've dropped it between protectors and it still looks like new. I had an Instinct before the Moment and all I had to do was look at it crossways and the screen would scratch.

The Moment has definitely been klutz-proof for me so far.

Upvote 0
Two bad drops, both due to the failure of the plastic cases that Sprint sells at their stores.

The first (and worst), I had it clipped to my bike, and it separated from the case as I was on a paved trail at 20mph. Landed face down, battery cover came off, battery fell out, and keyboard slid open. My first thought was, "That's the end of that phone."

As I went to pick up the pieces and reattach everything, the phone now had a nasty rash on it from the impact and slide, but the screen escaped without a scratch, and everything still worked.

I don't know if the Moment has nine lives, but it seems to have at least two. I really don't want to test any more.

So from now on, the phone is out of the case, and in my pocket.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones