• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Headphone jack is screwing up

sdguy67

Dec 7, 2009
I listen to music or podcasts all day long at work. When I get a call, I pull out the headphones and answer the call. From time to time, I will not get any audio through the phones normal speaker. It will work if I plug back in the headphones or if I go to speaker phone. The only way I have found that will clear up this issue, is to pull the battery and reboot.

It is like my phone is getting stuck into thinking the headphones are still in.

Any ideas?

I listen a lot of music on my Droid at work and I was having the same problem no audio sometimes after pulling the headphones. It seems like my phone was thinking the headphones were still on the phone. I also had a lose Jack and it would crack the sound on the headphones. I had enough of the problem when connecting the headphones in and out to make the sound work didn't work unless I did it up to 5 times. Solution: I went to Verizon store and I got a replacement and I brought some Motorola Bluetooth stereo headphones from Verizon 's website 24hour daily sales .I got them for $30 (50%) savings and free 2day fedex shipping.

Upvote 0
I replaced my first droid for a variety of slowly exacerbating headphone problems, this one included. Some of the problems were clearly hardware related (crackling, sound cutting in and out, music player stopping and starting if I pressed down on the jack).

However, I've seen other users swear that this specific problem is soft/firmware related. I replaced my droid and all of the aux jack issues went away...take this anecdotal evidence for what you will. My personal belief is that the aux port connection is prone to failure and that this problem is the first sign of it (i.e., phone not detecting whether the plug is inserted or not), but of course anecdotes in no way equal data. Are you having any other problems related to the headphone port by chance?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones