• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Headphones for android

Hey all I've been looking everywhere and I'm having trouble finding a pair of headphones that will work with my android device (Galaxy S4). I want it to have a mic and have the button where I can do different things depending on how many times i click it. The main problem is I don't like in-ear earbuds, I'm use to earbuds like the apple pods that just sit in your ear. I can't use headphones at work that would block out almost all noise. So if anyone had any suggestions it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just a side note I'm new to android and have to say coming from IOS and Windows Phone I love it.

It depends on how much you want to pay for them. In the $100 - $200 range, V-Moda offers the best headphones I have ever experienced that outperform Beats and Monster any day. They are crystal clear reproducing perfect sound. Also, they are solid and well built, using steel frame and braided kevlar cords. It comes with one cord that has a mic and remote. I have the Crossfade LP2 headphones, which run a little pricy. The Crossfade LP's are less expensive.

V-MODA Over-Ear Headphones

Then installl Headset Remote Control Pro

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...dphonecontroller&feature=search_result#?t=W10.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Sorry I should have clarified I still want earbuds but something like the old apple earbuds or the new apple pods. Something that sits in your ear but doesn't have to be pushed in it to form a sealed connection. Thanks for the suggestion though those would be nice at my house but not for work.

Upvote 0
There aren't many 3rd party options out there for earbuds with controls for Android. But the four that come to mind are:

Klipsch Image S4A- Has controls and work in conjuction with an app Klipsch designed to map out the buttons. The S4's are hands down the best bang for your buck (about $45.00 on Amazon).

Sennheiser CX 275S- Decent earbuds with controls but have a kind of cheap build quality and the sound is just OK ($70.00 on Amazon).

Sennheiser MM 70 S- This is a new model so I haven't heard these yet. They're supposed to be universal which means you can use them them with Android or IOS. Only drawback is the fact that it doesn't have a fast forward or reverse control ($100.00).

Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones- Again this is a new universal model and the first in ear headphones to feature noise cancellation from Bose (don't think this is out yet). Again like the MM70S it doesn't offer fast forward or reverse ($300.00).

As far Apple type earbuds, I'm not sure there are any out there that would appeal to you. If you're going to be listening to music at work I would suggest looking at a small Bluetooth speaker like the Jawbone Jambox, Monster Iclarity, Logitech mini boombox, Beats Pill, Spracht or a ton of others out there. At work I use a Monster I clarity and it's a great solution in office envirnments where you really can't use headphones.

Upvote 0
There aren't many 3rd party options out there for earbuds with controls for Android. But the four that come to mind are:

Klipsch Image S4A- Has controls and work in conjuction with an app Klipsch designed to map out the buttons. The S4's are hands down the best bang for your buck (about $45.00 on Amazon).

The $45 version is for the older S4A model. S4A II has a different control panel and a "tangle free" flat cord. Those are about $75 right now on amazon. Buyers be aware that the Klipsch app for these ear buds is in no way perfect. I actually prefer jays headphone app over Klipsch.

Upvote 0
Programming the buttons, I believe.

The problem is that Google chose not to set standards for earbud controls so they work differently between manufacturers. Even between phone models made by the same manufacturer. This sort of app tries to get around this limitation by allowing you to program the buttons to work with your model phone.

The lack of any standard is a primary reason you haven't seen the huge after-market for Android speakers and the like in the way you have seen for Apple products.

I think I heard that Google recently announced that they'd be supporting some audio through USB: that could improve the situation, particularly if it were a software fix and didn't require new hardware (this kinda thing is way outside my comfort zone but there are people on here who will know the details).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones