• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hear SMS sound but there is no text message there

I have a Samsung Galaxy Reverb with Virgin Mobile. It has the latest operating system update, but this issue predates the latest update.

Occasionally I will hear my text message notification sound, and my noLED app text message icon will show up on my lock screen. A long press should take me to my new text message, but sometimes when I go to the messages, there is no new text message there.

At first I just thought maybe it was some fluke and I wasn't really missing messages. However, I have had a couple of times when I am using my phone, so the lock screen isn't up, and I'll hear the text notification sound and can see the message preview at the top, as well as a red "1" at the bottom on the text messaging icon. However, if I go into the messaging, once again, there is no new message there. The "1" disappears from the messaging icon when I exit the message center.

In talking with others, I am certain there are text messages that I'm missing. Some seem to be MMS, but others seem to be just SMS. I do receive most text messages as I should. It's hard to tell who all the missing texts are from, but I know it's not just one other user; it's been from multiple users. I never receive the missing messages at a later time.

Per VM tech support's suggestions, I've removed the battery and restarted, and I've gone through and deleted all of the photos in my text messages, as well as any unnecessary texts, so I really have a minimal number in there now, but I've had this happen again tonight. Neither of those have fixed the issue.

Any other suggestions?

Use a backup program like SMS Backup+. Back up all your messages. Restore them, to make sure the backup is good.

Delete ALL your text messages.

Next time you get a text notification sound, there should be only 1 message in there, and there should be one.

Keep backing up and deleting the messages. Eventually you'll find one of two things - it doesn't happen if there are no messages in there (possibly bad storage memory, or a bad message app - try using another one without deleting messages to see if it's the app or the phone) or it still happens - which I'd suspect is an incomplete delivery and VM's problem. (It could also be a bad phone, not receiving the complete text, but since text and voice travel the same path you'd be having nose and missing words on phone calls too.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones