• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hearing aid thread in general.

Well before my first pair of hearing aids, and due to the massive flood of swimming through when I was younger, I am not going into statistics of how much I swam, leave it alone by saying a flood. They become so well adapted to having a small doorway that opens and closes in my ears, that one day my mother decided to make an appointment of getting my wax build-up just under control, but after speaking with her on a daily basis, we decided to get out of the blue, Phonax Marvel, so went through time at bowling, with my side occupation - two extremely loud acoustics that my brain took a lot of time getting adjusted to everyone else's voices throughout time. The first day, of my Marvel, remember I did not plug them in, since we got home around eight p.m.

In the middle of winter, keep that in mind, but it halfway sprinkled throughout the way back home, which at that time was not such a harsh drive, was enjoying my own way of listening to classical music on the car ride back. so I set it up with the charger still on top of my tower. I charged them up for around fifteen minutes or so.. And left to see "Welcome to Marwen" I think I have it saved still today, but could of accidentally deleted it.
So we went out to the movies, the first time I noticed the buzzing sound in my ears, so I read a into it, and that is their timer going off in my ears.

So throughout time and space, at my side occupation, I usually have no problems at all duration of them turning on and off, so went on my way, there was a few days of where the battery ended up so quickly for the kill, so I went on for hours without the necessity to listen, but in the interim lately, my right ear got so adapted without it, I could hear something so soften up, like my typing on this message que for instance. But due to the error of having the doorway into my ear, and I think it is at the bottom like I did test it out on where it would of open and shut, but seeing ultimately of how I did trouble shoot in the past, now to reflect and see what is up...

The app works so well with the Phonax, and it has its update so I can customize it to however I wanted it.

Milo and I have spoken privately about this topic, but I'll throw my info out here, too.

When I had that brain tumor, it damaged the auditory nerve on my right side, then the surgery to remove the tumor damaged it more. We knew going in that damage or complete removal of the nerve was likely, and since the latter would've meant a hearing aid couldn't help, I'm very, very grateful to have come through with damage, not removal. I remember the very first thing I wanted to know when I woke up was if I still had hearing on my right. My lead brain surgeon scratched the football-helmet-like bandage around my head, where my ear should be, and I could HEAR it! So exciting. :) That answered my question: I still had the auditory nerve.

The last time my hearing was checked, I had 94% voice recognition on the right (100% on the left). But lately--and I'm WAY overdue on a followup--I've been noticing difficulty hearing certain things. For example, I'll be watching something on TV, and I'll rewind it to catch a bit of dialogue I missed the first time. No one has made any comments, like "wow, you're really blasting your TV!" or "why are you shouting into the phone?!" because I'm not. I watch the volume control on the screen, and it's always right in the same range as usual. Making it louder doesn't really seem to help. :thinking: But when the hearing problem first started, it was a little odd--testing my hearing one way yielded wildly different results from another way. Specifically, using sound-proof earphones that snugly covered my ears, and had sound piped through them gave me crystal-clear hearing, but sitting in a soundproof chamber and having sounds played, my hearing was awful! So I know the specific type of hearing loss I have makes a difference. Like I *can* talk on the phone on my right ear and hear everything perfectly, but atmospheric sounds, things in a room, are not necessarily so clear.

Before the craniotomy, my doctors told me about this type of hearing aid that we'd use *if* they had to take the auditory nerve out. The way it works is really cool: you wear it in BOTH ears, and it picks up sound from your good ear's side and routes it to your bad ear. In other words, one side acts as a transmitter and the other as a receiver. They said this method gives people who are profoundly deaf, i.e., like people born with no auditory nerve on one side, hearing on that side. Pretty nifty! That was 10+ years ago, so perhaps now they've reduced that down to a one-ear version.

Once I get my long overdue hearing test done, if I need a hearing aid I have no vanity issues to deal with. I'd rather be able to hear clearly than worry about what strangers think about my hearing aid...

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Fill in: You cannot have one hearing aid inside the blue tooth connected Via Blue Tooth, and have the other one charging per sa, and want to op it out, but if you could have both, mix and match, it would take seriously wads of time to charge them, even though you just put them inside the charging case and just try to see if it does work, but cautionary tale, I used that one part once methinks was yesterday, but the operation did not work at all.

If you have two of the same connection, and one pair really rocks, vs. the other one just dulls, stick with the ones that rock on. And then charge the other ones, in case if you are in a strange cave or something of that nature, and be like that.
Still be aware on what you do sync up and charge.

Stick with the ones that love your ears the best :)

Upvote 0
Do you mind guys sharing some good hearing aid brands? Or which one should i avoid at least?
Phonax Marvel was just perfect, up until the extended over time like everything with a chargeable battery becomes such a warlock to take care of, it is a lot of work for such a tiny device, be careful of when putting them in your eardrum, they can burn the outside of the ears too, mine really do make my face blush look most of the time, as well as given the blood rushing over to the eardrum, do a mental timer to when to insert them and when to take them off, I usually put them on around eleven on my off days, and when I do (Hopefully can return soon) get into my side occupation, they are activated around eight in the morning for phone calls and to put inside when talking with my mom in car rides, and in the mornings. They tend to build up wax you usually do not feel around your ears, remember to clean not just the void, but inside Ear - Wikipedia - Saves me a ton of typing up on what directions, the outer ear usually with some hydroperoxide and toilet paper to really soften the ear wax, toilet paper is very versatile to take them off and put them on something really gentle, as well as tissues too. They do have a build in light fan, that when you have it charging up, mine is usually on my desktop so I do not have to extremely worry about fire ignition that way. And you have to get some ear wax guards, I preferably use the wands vs. the circle gadget they do come in. They had a tinnitus blocker as well, I suffer from it, but I tend to have some sort of background noise gears up.

Phonax Paradise is in the same vein as I type up without cutting and pasting it, well balanced, and able to control more frequency with the app that you can download. See above, what I just wrote.So keep that in mind, always have some sort of mental timer to take them off, In my subconscious it is around from nine to until one or two in the afternoon.

Upvote 0
You have to understand that each premier brand and nowadays even OTC hearing are for different levels of hearing deficit. The Phonak Marvel is a good top level aid that is one generation behind the times. The state of the art from Phonak is the Paradise 90 and even more the Paradise Audeo Paradise which is completely waterproof, which is a new thing for hearing aids. Not only does each manufacturer have several models, they have many types. Receiver in ear, behind the ear, one sided hearing loss, bluetooth, non bluetooth, rechargeable, battery power, Competely in hear aids, totally hidden aids. One such hidden aid is the Phonak Lyric which has to be inserted by the audiologist because it rests right by the eardrum. It's disposable and is replace every two. You don't purchase the hearing aids, you purchase the annual subscription to the tune of 3000.00 USD per annum. People rave about it, but it occludes the ear canal, so if you have good hearing in the lower frequencies, like me, you want to keep those good frequencies that you can hear coming in, so you use what is preferred- "open domes".

Some brands and technologies are better from some but not others. That's why there are so many brands. The funny thing is that these manifold brands are all controlled a a few companies. I'll include a brand map below. What do I have? The Oticon More 1's that I got new for 2400 USD from a fantastic eBay seller with whom I have become friends.. These aids sold in the US go for anywhere between 5000 to 8000 USD depending upon your audiologist, who is making a LOT of money on them.

Oticon More 1's are also top level state of the hearing aid art, using artificial intelligence to help you focus on what's important and I have different program setting for whatever environment I happen to be in. I mostly use the General Program. If I am watching TV I'll use speech in noise. It's uncanny at enabling me to hear speech in crowded settings.

No one model is for everyone, so the discussion as to the best brand or model becomes a moot one by default. Different strokes for different needs.

Steven

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
You have to understand that each premier brand and nowadays even OTC hearing are for different levels of hearing deficit. The Phonak Marvel is a good top level aid that is one generation behind the times. The state of the art from Phonak is the Paradise 90 and even more the Paradise Audeo Paradise which is completely waterproof, which is a new thing for hearing aids. Not only does each manufacturer have several models, they have many types. Receiver in ear, behind the ear, one sided hearing loss, bluetooth, non bluetooth, rechargeable, battery power, Competely in hear aids, totally hidden aids. One such hidden aid is the Phonak Lyric which has to be inserted by the audiologist because it rests right by the eardrum. It's disposable and is replace every two. You don't purchase the hearing aids, you purchase the annual subscription to the tune of 3000.00 USD per annum. People rave about it, but it occludes the ear canal, so if you have good hearing in the lower frequencies, like me, you want to keep those good frequencies that you can hear coming in, so you use what is preferred- "open domes".

Some brands and technologies are better from some but not others. That's why there are so many brands. The funny thing is that these manifold brands are all controlled a a few companies. I'll include a brand map below. What do I have? The Oticon More 1's that I got new for 2400 USD from a fantastic eBay seller with whom I have become friends.. These aids sold in the US go for anywhere between 5000 to 8000 USD depending upon your audiologist, who is making a LOT of money on them.

Oticon More 1's are also top level state of the hearing aid art, using artificial intelligence to help you focus on what's important and I have different program setting for whatever environment I happen to be in. I mostly use the General Program. If I am watching TV I'll use speech in noise. It's uncanny at enabling me to hear speech in crowded settings.

No one model is for everyone, so the discussion as to the best brand or model becomes a moot one by default. Different strokes for different needs.

Steven

I own both of Marvel as well as Paradise 90, thanks for posting them both up. Still it is a "open domes" both operatives too, it is not like it is closing either too, still they are pretty decent ones, I had my Marvel ones on accident the attena got slit on accident of going out on vacation at one point, and the other one, well it got cut in two due to my audiologist, the battery was not charing it all the way up, since I got them both calibrated yesterday, the battery got super in flames and cause my head to warm up today. I use the music more then often, also the Speach in Loud noises every time I do get a chance of watching t.v. as well.

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Cleaning them, simple, use some toilet paper and a dab of water, they are water proof up until you really stuck your head inside a swimming pool. They come out clean and have a ton of wax around the waxing guard part, the part that sticks in the ear canal part, but they are so simple to clean. They give you a few brushes to brush the air pocket inside of both of them, as well as even if ear wax flings in the head, that is a big plus, it also cleans and opens up the passage way of each of the pocket air brush. Thus it is simple, takes less then a minute for each adapter for me. :) But if you are not close to a stall, you can easily use some disposable napkins as well.

Upvote 0
Sometimes when I tilt my head, my Phonax just becomes shut off instantly, due to my swimmers ear it automatically does it so subconsicously from time to time though, it has a wide rage of around 50 feet, from were I leave this room up to almost by the microwave I can hear fine, that is putting the cell down on the foot of the bed, that is near by my window, so that is around ten other feet, by typing it is around that rage. OF where the closer range of where I do lift up and go through my mother's extra wide room, it zeroes up by her mirror, keep in mind it is the only extra cubic feet room.. So it varries on where I am at though.

Upvote 0
I also prefer using Phonak. But to be honest, the latest reviews made me think about buying another brand.

It's important to know the philosophy behind each hearing aid.. what it's trying to accomplish.

in short: Phonak plays better with android than oticon
Phonak uses directional sensor to allow you to focus on voices in front of you.
Oticon More (I have this) ampifies all sounds in your deficient hearing zones allowing your brain to pick and choose what it wants. As I musician this is what I need. My hearing isn't that bad, though.. just the higher frequencies are involved.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Phonak you can pretty much manupliate to the sound in front of you, and also reduces the nosiey levels of even like oh.... Traffic, snow, people chattering over, kids, etc. That way you can get to control on what you want to focus in front of you, think of Phonak like a walking headphones. What you want to hear around you vs. what you can hear close and far away, I always do a sound test, when I am near my t.v. and when I can just move around as well too.

I have like an involentary muscle tha tis at my left ear, tends to open and close sometimes, of where I use a slightly higher frequency at time, vs. like when it does feel normal and abnormal as well.

Upvote 0
The wax guard tends to fall into my canal, I usually let the wax deteriorate it, no problem is consisted it either, and they are around 0.03 mm wide and can be dropped on a hat to a white plain, rendering them invisible. Be careful with them and change them on a large surface.

Which aids do you have again?

Upvote 0
Phonax Audeo p90-R

- they seem pretty crystal clear and uniterruped when I was listening to some Zelda themes song just the other hour, so I am wondering if that robot voice seem like gone now?
that's the top of the line, bro. I have the Oticon More 1s. I like them because they let all the sound in and aren't directional. I got mine for an amazing price of 2k.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
that's the top of the line, bro. I have the Oticon More 1s. I like them because they let all the sound in and aren't directional. I got mine for an amazing price of 2k.
So.. I am now wondering about what kind of monster would have more then several devices on here, to make it estatic into a robot voice though, but with streaming music, it seems pretty flawless.. Been testing them just with different rock and roll artist, and a few classical musicians, nothing but clarity.

Upvote 0
I almost forgot to type this, a few days ago, my right hearing aid did not wanted to work, so I searched with duckduckgo and it said on the main Phonax site "If you are having troubles with your hearing aids, press the power button around 20 seconds and then take it off, if you see the light turning red you might have a tiny guy giving you the finger." So I pound it on my folded finger, and I did not let go until two minutes have passed, and it turned up green though, keep in mind, I was feeling running late out the door emotions, so I just tend to play with it a few times with different settings, and it does work out. Sooooo yeah I had to keep that in mind, I remember looking at the jpg of connection and the button was pressed at top for a strange reason, did it the same ages ago, I swept it underneath the rug for so long I nearly forgot about it.

Upvote 0
Now tell me when logging in a ton of times Chrome and firefox sends you back with the invalid url, never like connecting them through my ISP, meanwhile the irony is I sit here and it goes through fifty five times of "Idenity.phonax.com" url without going through, it is not like my account ever expired at all, heck I did attempt to log in via the main chrome app, and see if that works, yes it does. This is really frustrating from time to time.. And oh yeah the battery would not hold a charge after barely a few hours outside, seriously what did I do to deserve this little headache?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones