• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello, My Name Is DialOut & I Was Formerly A Hard-core iOS User...

DialOut

Oct 23, 2017
Rochester, NY
Hello, my name is Derek, and I'm a formerly a staunch iPhone user.

I'm completely new to Android, I've seen it, I've used it (older versions, which I hated) and now I'm so fed up with changes in iOS (Music, Photos, lack of computer-based ringtone/app management), etc. I'm looking at swapping my red 7+ for an LG V30.* The latest version (Nougat?) looks pretty slick. I like it so far.

I'll be lurking for a bit, to learn what's been going on with Android the past 2-3 years that I haven't used it. I'm not a cheap-phone buyer; when I buy, I buy big and I buy the best since it's my phone, media device, music player, and business device AIO.

Maybe you can help me get a jump on things, since the forum skin is a bit hard to use:
- A solid music app? The default one any good?
- Solid alternative to Google's default apps (photos, texting, etc)
- Is the Micro SD treated like an ejectable drive on a PC, or native memory?
- Most painless way to switch from iOS to Android?

Srsly never thought I'd actually consider an Android device. Like, if you knew me at all, that's the last thing I'd ever believe I'd be doing. Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty I really love about my iPhone, including support, 4 years of updates, software/hardware integration, and so on. But the latest iOS changes have got my questioning my digital beliefs.

*The audio boost alone would be worth it; that dongle is actually more irritating than I thought, since as an audiophile I detest wireless audio quality.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Hello Derek. Welcome to Android Forums. Thanks for considering Android. For your questions and others I'm certain you will have, you should take a look at the sub forum we have just for the discussion of the LG V30. You will find it here https://androidforums.com/devices/lg-v30.11153/
I hope you enjoy these forums and they help you along the Android path.

Reactions: DialOut and kate
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
From reviews and comments on another site, other music players aren't coded properly to use the built in DAC on the v30. Only the default does. So to get the DAC advantage, you'll have to stick to that.

As for alternatives, it all depends on taste I think. But I think the Google ones are fine. Is there any specific feature you're looking for?

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!

From reviews and comments on another site, other music players aren't coded properly to use the built in DAC on the v30. Only the default does. So to get the DAC advantage, you'll have to stick to that.

As for alternatives, it all depends on taste I think. But I think the Google ones are fine. Is there any specific feature you're looking for?

My phones are my music and photo devices (gaming goes on my iPad), so Music is a big one (hence my modded Fostex T50-RP Mk3 headphones, although I realize these won't be powered correctly on a cellphone, hence my Meze 99 Classics/AKG K7xx), the camera is important (Is it possible to get a "portrait" mode on the V30?), and general usability/reliability. I really (really really) like the 2-year coverage that the V30 has. You can see why I latched onto the V30...I'd consider the S8+ (which looks marginally nicer) but the fingerprint sensor position and that dedicated Bixby button would drive me nuts since I don't use digital assistants and built-in "feature phone" stuff is...useless. I understand the Bixby button can't be re-programmed? If it easily could, I'd consider the S8+ as well. Burn-in and modular-style fugliness on the Pixel 2 keep me away from that one.

Also, is it difficult to sync data (most if not all) across a Mac, iPad Pro, and Android? I wouldn't be changing my tablet or computer.

I generally keep my phones for 2-3 years, although that doesn't stop me from shopping around so soon this year (I bought my 7+ in July).

Upvote 0
The Bixby button can be turned off. Apparently it can be remapped but haven't looked into that.

Fingerprint sensor on the S8 is subjective. I don't have one, but it's not a big deal. It's basically the same place where you put your finger on the S7 Edge for the heart rate monitor. Won't be any different to me. It's the heart rate monitor that will annoy me on the S8, not the fingerprint. LOL.

The syncing part depends on what type of data you want to sync and to what program you are syncing to on your Apple devices. Samsung's SideSync and SmartSwitch programs has Mac versions so that's pretty easy. for backups and controlling the phone and sending files between the phone and Mac. You could set your phone to use Dropbox/Google/OneDrive as cloud programs for your photos. All of those has Mac programs so it's also not a big deal. Apple Music is available on Android so you can use that for music.

Reactions: DialOut
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones