• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! Downloaded videos but thumbnail is gone, video canont be veiwed off phone now!

A very strange thing happend today.. I downloaded some videos off my phone to my HDD. I then deleted the videos from the phone, so I thought, but actually I deleted them from the folder I just downloaded them to because I was in a rush. DOH! Ok so found out what happend, went to download them again, found that the videos are still on my HDD and the phone. Problem is now on both the phone and the HDD the video cannot be viewed from the file folders, there is now a music icon in place of a video thumbnail, and when I try to play it, the video player does not play a video. The file size is the same as before. The strange thing is, if I turn on my phone, I can watch the videos from the phone... Any ideas how to get these videos off the phone now to the HDD so that they will actually play on the pc???

Thanks

I think you might not have understood the whole problem... When I plug the phone into the pc, the folder that comes up for the phone is also the same as the one on the pc.. I cannot delete that folder on the phone, if I did everything in that folder would be deleted. That is the DCM folder on the phone. Both the pc and phone are showing the same images. I cannot play the videos from the phone folder either. I can only play them on the phone itself.

Upvote 0
Sorry,

I get what your saying now. I'm assuming that the videos your wanting to transfer to the HDD were made with the phone itself.

Did your computer ever play one of the videos from your phone?

What may be happening is that your video player may not be understanding the video codec that the phone is using. I don't know what player your using, but you might try downloading a player like Media player classic, KMP player or VLC(VideoLan). These players include a lot of codecs that standard computers don't have.

If you don't want a different player, you could try to download the K-lite codec pack.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Sorry,

I get what your saying now. I'm assuming that the videos your wanting to transfer to the HDD were made with the phone itself..

Yes, bingo! :)

Did your computer ever play one of the videos from your phone?.

Yep, the pc did play one of the videos the first time it was downloaded.

What may be happening is that your video player may not be understanding the video codec that the phone is using. I don't know what player your using, but you might try downloading a player like Media player classic, KMP player or VLC(VideoLan). These players include a lot of codecs that standard computers don't have.

If you don't want a different player, you could try to download the K-lite codec pack.

Hope this helps.

I am using Window's Video player. I think I need to try another one to see if it fixes the problem, but it's odd because they were working before, and some older videos I had downloaded from the phone have no problems, only the videos from yesturday... The thumbnails for the vidoes are gone also like I said. If the thumbnails are gone would the videos still work? I mean windows video player will open the video, but it's just like an mp3 file now, their is a music note that appears but no video... The videos only can be played by using the phone itself.. very very odd...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones