• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weird activity with Samsung keyboard phone

Jeff Jot

Dec 30, 2021
Okay so I have several old Android phones in a drawer full of old electronics cell phone junk.
One of them is a Samsung Captivate Glide. I haven't used it in years. Since like 2015.
However, last night I was looking to use an old phone just for its camera. I plugged in the Capitivate Glide and charged it about 4 hours.
Then I realized what I had forgotten- years ago, this phone's display screen had shorted out. The phone is still operational, but you can't use the screen or see anything, its just blacked out.
So the phone is essentially useless. Bummer.
Okay here's where it gets weird.
I put the phone away, in its old box and put it back in the drawer yesterday.
About 1:00 am tonight, I heard what sounded like carillon bells. Familiar, carillon bells. But coming from where?
I hunted around, and discovered that the SAMSUNG PHONE WAS PLAYING, inside the box, inside the drawer. At top volume. A YouTube video, of carillon bells.
Now, several days before, I had downloaded a recording of carillon bells to my desktop PC off YouTube. But this video was on my PC.
Why would that recording, be playing on the old Samsung phone, all by itself? Inside the box, in the closed drawer?
Again, I can't access the screen or anything, and haven't loaded anything on it for years.
I'm completely baffled by this.
I plugged the phone in to the Desktop via USB, for the first time ever----- AFTER it was playing the bells.
I can still access the files on the phone.
But I didn't find any video or music files on it that had been loaded since 2015.
Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Its extremely creepy.

Reactions: AugieTN
You aren't kidding.
Well how could an almost 10 year old phone do this?
What could I do to look and find out.
I can access the files on the phone, but I can't see the screen its broken.
It was playing a Youtube .mp4 file that I had downloaded to my PC some days before, it just started playing it all by itself.
It just makes no sense to me.
BTW I got an alert on this thread in my mailbox that said "There may be more posts after this."
The only thing I see is "Sounds like a great concept to a horror movie."
Are there more posts after this?
If so where are they, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Well, "There may be more posts after this" is the most unhelpful message I can think of.
Why even bother to send the notification at all? It may as well say, "Please be informed, the answer may be Yes or No."
Its likely I could have done any number of things to the screen when I had it out, but I hadn't touched the phone since the night before. After which I put it inside a box, and in a drawer.
It must have still been powered on, but I couldn't tell as the screen doesn't work.
Anyway I had some trouble some years ago getting hacked by someone I had met and chatted with on Facebook. Repeatedly, and they did some really unsettling stuff. They were I think, a psycho maybe. I closed my Facebook account after that.
I would feel 300% better if I could explain it some other way. Still it is super bizarre.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OKAY.
I may have a working answer on the "Hells Bells" Android phenomenon.
Note, exhibit A:
Apparently, this is ONLY a thing with Samsung phones. Of which, this is (a 2015 Captivate Glide).
From what I'm reading here, many people have been complaining about these old phones suddenly playing random songs in the middle of the night, without anything showing on the display. When they hit the volume, or any other button, it disappears without a trace.
Yes that's right. Almost identical to what happened to me.
So how did it play a song from my computer?
Its possible it didn't. If this is right, it may have played a recently downloaded song from my Google account.
As I had the same Google account on the 2015 phone, well. There you go.
By powering it up, it became active... the bug triggered, and it grabbed a recent song my Google account record, I had listened to. From "the cloud". In order for you to download apps on your phone you must be logged into Google Play. Most people on Android are always logged in Google Play, 24/7. And when you're logged into Google Play, it keeps logs of everything you do. For eternity.
And probably, even if you aren't logged in it.
But I wasn't logged into Google Play on my PC!
Aha, I think I have the answer to that too. Instead of Google Play, I was logged in my Youtube account, on the PC.
Google owns Youtube.
So their computers who track everything and everyone, must have determined that it is the same person on the PC, as the phone. As it probably also has done with you and yours.
Its getting to be a really small world isn't it? And like my father likes to say, "Google knows more about the inside of my colon than I do."
Well sorry, he said it, I didn't lol.
What does anyone think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones