• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help - Email sending

ianmoody

Lurker
Apr 10, 2014
Hi,

Could someone explain what happened here please?

Was on a very remote beach with NO cell coverage.
Launched Gmail
Composed message
Hit send
Put phone to sleep
Didn't use phone again.

After an hour or so we were back in good cell coverage, then spent next two hours in good cell coverage.
When we got home it was obvious the mail hadn't been sent.
Turned phone on to check things and mail was sent straight away.

Is that expected behaviour?

In summary:

Compose and send message outside of cell coverage
Sleep phone
Walk back into cell coverage, phone kept in sleep

Would you expect the phone to send the message in the background as soon as cell coverage is back, or is it right that no background attempt was made to send it until we unslept the phone.

Thanks for any advice!

That is a bit strange.

I would have expected the e-mail to be sent the first time the phone had coverage and sync'd with the gmail server.

Of course, it could be coincidence and the phone actually didn't happen to have a signal whenever it attempted to sync (mine's only set to sync once an hour) and you picked it up before it had a chance to sync while it had a connection.

If you can replicate the issue, might be worth reporting it as a bug to Google. Maybe gmail could be amended so that, if it has something in the outbox it'll check for a connection every 10 mins until it has managed to send the mail.

Upvote 0
In vanilla android, go into the mail app, tap Menu (vertical dots in the top right) .. Settings, tap your google account name (may not be required if you just have one mail account) and tap Sync frequency

You clearly have way better coverage then we have around my way - I'm lucky to get a signal at home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones