• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root help get the most performance out of a rooted incredible

We may want to try another recovery. Think it has only been tested with TWRP (team win recovery)

http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/inc

This would be flashed in hboot.

make sure your sd card is formated to FAT32,place the file and rename to PB31IMG. boot to hboot(vol down+power from powered off) and the phone should find the file and ask you to update. allow the update,then allow the phone to reboot. immediately remove PB31IMG from the sd.

Upvote 0
I clicked the link just provided.
*Which of these files (below) do I want?
*Do I remove /sdcard/Stock_inc_4.08.605.19_deodexed.zip
*My card reader is at home, 45 miles away.
*I remember seeing in ClockwordMod a reference to USB, can I use that option?
*Is there an interim solution with low potential for bricking my phone that will allow me to use the phone easily? I have oral surgery in 10 hours and need to drive 3 hours before surgery and would like to have use of phone.

Sorry again to be so ignorant of these matters..,

Techerrata.com
You are here:home

Upvote 0
I clicked the link just provided.
*Which of these files (below) do I want?
*Do I remove /sdcard/Stock_inc_4.08.605.19_deodexed.zip
*My card reader is at home, 45 miles away.
*I remember seeing in ClockwordMod a reference to USB, can I use that option?
*Is there an interim solution with low potential for bricking my phone that will allow me to use the phone easily? I have oral surgery in 10 hours and need to drive 3 hours before surgery and would like to have use of phone.

Sorry again to be so ignorant of these matters..,

Techerrata.com
You are here:home

Reactions: fuzztone
Upvote 0
4-15-13

You need to download one of the roms, odexed or deodexed to your sdcard. Then boot to recovery and do a factory reset (data, cache, data data) and also wipe/format system. Then install the rom zip. The reason you got symlink error before is because you didnt wipe system.

I thought that I had wiped the system correctly.

*First, I chose "wipe data/factory reset"~Data wipe complete
*2nd I chose "wipe cache partition"~Cache wipe complete
*3rd I chose from Advanced "wipe Dalvik Cache"~ "Dalvik Cache"~wiped

I had downloaded 4.08.605.19_deodexed.zip to the sd card and installed with ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.0

Error message: set__perm: some changes failed
E: Error in SD card/stock_inc_4.08.605.19_deodexed.zip(Status 7) Installation Aborted.

I did this twice last night with the same result (2nd time after re-downloading the deodexed.zip file and confirming the MD5 with a checker program.

Today I did the same thing with the same result. *The progress bar for the install goes all the way from left to right, then pauses for 30 seconds or so, then I get the Installation Aborted (Status 7)

What am I missing or doing incorrectly?

I have my card reader with me today.

Assistance in directing me how to complete this process properly would really be appreciated.

Upvote 0
saw message: noapp2sd partition found Skipping format of sd.ext

I tried to partition sd card, guessing at Ext. size 4096MB and swap size of 128MB

Now the rom isn't found.

I'll wait for further instructions before I make things worse.

You need to format /system along with the others you wiped. What recovery are you using? If cwm go to mounts and storage and format everything available except emmc and sdcard. If on Twrp, go to wipe and select factory reset. Once thats done select system. Then flash the rom.

Partitioning the sdcard formats it, which is why you cant find the rom file. Download it again.

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I'm using cwm v5.0.2.0
In Mounts and Storage
Do I "Mount"?
*system
*datadata
*data
*emmc
*USB storage

Do I UnMount:
*cache
*sd-ext

Just to be certain, Do I Format:
*boot
*system
*datadata
*data
*cache
*sd-ext

I've still got your rom on my laptop desktop, MD5-checked; is it OK to place it on the root of the sd card as before?

Your knowledge, attention and assistance are truly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I'm using cwm v5.0.2.0
In Mounts and Storage
Do I "Mount"?
*system
*datadata
*data
*emmc
*USB storage

Do I UnMount:
*cache
*sd-ext

Just to be certain, Do I Format:
*boot
*system
*datadata
*data
*cache
*sd-ext

I've still got your rom on my laptop desktop, MD5-checked; is it OK to place it on the root of the sd card as before?

Your knowledge, attention and assistance are truly appreciated.

Dont mount or unmount anythig. And yes format everything you listed.

Yes you can put the rom back on the sd.

Upvote 0
Hallelujah! Your rom loaded successfully....but...I have no signal.
I've got Android version 2.3.4 though!

How do I get a signal? I've got an "x" next to the location symbol.

Also, Google Play Store is listed as "Market".

I shouldn't accept any OTA updates, nor update anything manually right??

Thanks again...seems I'm getting closer.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
have you tried dialing *228? if so,what happens?

you are using this device on vzw,correct? not on prepay,or cricket,boost,etc?

try dialing *#*#4636#*#* from the dialer. from there choose phone info. there should be a setting you can make sure is set to a cdma setting(i dont have an inc atm to check,so im not sure what options you may find there)

you might also could call vzw and they can walk you thru programming.

Upvote 0
Tried *228 when rom booted. Nothing happens.

Entered *#*#4636#*#*
CDMA auto (PRL) is what I found
There's a box SMSC: which is empty. Next to it is "Update" and next to it is "Refresh" tried both and received "error" for both
"Run ping test" Failed.

My phone number is cited in info.

??What should I say or not say to Verizon about my status??

Upvote 0
you might try updating the radio. tho outdated,the froyo radio has continued to provide signal to lots of folks to have used the guide and downgraded. you can try installing the radio and hboot as described in the finishing up section. if theres issue with your current radio,that may fix it.

personally i would run an ruu. then do a factory reset from hboot,with the stock recovery in place.

you can then either allow the phone to OTA to current GB,or you can go ahead and install recovery and try your hand at flashing a rom again :)

Upvote 0
This rom makes my phone work very fast handling files; very nice!

Can I tether without being rooted (via USB)?

My immediate needs are to be able to make/receive phone calls and to tether.

I've had 3 teeth extracted and 1 reconstructed today. I've got a 2 hour drive to get home, and the anesthetic is almost totally worn-off.

Is there a quick way to get phone/tether, even if I have to re-root later?

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm s-off.

I've never flashed a radio.

If I call Verizon, what can I say, what can't I say?

Just tell them you went to use it and there was no signal and an x. You rebooted, and the result was the same. I doubt they will ask about being rooted if you dont bring it up.

But i would try some stuff on your own first.

Do an ruu and factory reset to see if it fixes it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones