• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me get a smartphone! (HTC HD2 Question)

Bubblewhip

Lurker
Jan 31, 2011
I kind of have a pressing question(s) to ask at the moment. I've been thinking about the HTC HD2 supported by a T-Mobile unlimited Data plan with no talk and text. The reason being is because I've heard you can dual boot android and Windows Phone 7. This would be great seeing as I have no experience with either in my hands and it would be a good way to test out both. My real question is, is this method of running android in an HTC HD2 Viable for actual use? Meaning is it unstable? Am I actually able to make calls with it? Will the 3G or 4G network work while in this mode? And can I run my phone off phone cards? And some general questions about android I would like to know is... How does android handle Music and Video? (meaning how do I put my music files or video files onto the device, create organized playlists ect.) And how updates actually work on android devices? These seem like general questions but the internet seems to take them for granted, so information like this is pretty hard to find. Any concerns, suggestions, and alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

I will try and help here:

1. ...is this method of running android in an HTC HD2 Viable for actual use?
-- I use it for a daily use on Android and have no issues, so yes.

2. Meaning is it unstable? Am I actually able to make calls with it?
--See above.

3. Will the 3G or 4G network work while in this mode?
--3G yes, 4G no, this is not a 4G phone.

4. And can I run my phone off phone cards?
-- I have no idea, I have a full plan with voice and data, never had to use cards. If you are talking about pre-pay, then it will work through T-Mobile, but other carriers, I have no idea.

5. And some general questions about android I would like to know is...

5a. How does android handle Music and Video? (meaning how do I put my music files or video files onto the device, create organized playlists ect.)
-- Load them to your SD Card and read on how to make playlists and whatnot on the app you choose to play the music on. Video's will be determined by what player you use. I use arcMedia (free) and it plays the Divix and other formats I use.

7. And how updates actually work on android devices?
--Since this is not a native Android device, you will have to use Custom ROM's and the updates would be to download the latest and flash them. Depending on HOW you flash them will determine if you have to reset your data and all that.

Most of this information can be found either here or on XDA. There are a TON of How-To's floating around out there that can give you more detailed information on this stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones