• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help me get a tablet to take charge, pls =>

CallmeAdela

Lurker
Nov 27, 2016
Hi, call me Adele. I have Verizon's Ellipsis 8.0 tablet, without a SIM card *
It's not a new tablet, it was a hand-me-down, but it's parts are all there. Here's the issue, it definitely is not taking charge. I bought a brand new charger from Verizon itself, and the charger has a red light that will glow if the tablet is taking charge. The tablet doesn't respond to it.
If I hold the power button, the verizon logo opening screen will come up, and the charger light will glow showing a charge is occurring, but the device dies when the cord is removed. Trying to turn on the tablet when not attached to electricity won't work, it doesn't turn on or show anything. I have tried letting it be plugged into the charger for 12 hours, but it hasn't charged the battery up.

I have learned that popping off the back of the tablet and unplugging/replugging the battery pack could help. My tablet is open and I'm could try that, I'm not sure which cord is the power cord, though! Also, I'm not sure that's the right step for me. Is this problem happening because I don't have a SIM card inserted?:cool:
note: Attached are photos of the inner parts of the tablet.

*I've read that the tablet can operate without a SIM card

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Middle (battery pack).jpg
    Middle (battery pack).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 151
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 163
Hello there!
Welcome to AF:)

Well, about the battery bit...I'm wondering if a new battery itself is in order.
But, here is a small write up about the removal of the battery:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Verizon+Ellipsis+8+Disassembly/67057

If the disconnect/reconnect of the battery doesn't work, perhaps there is an issue with the charging port, or the battery itself. It may have been drained dead one too many times :(
As far as the device working without a sim, I'm sure that can be done and has no relation to your issue.
I'm using a Verizon Note 10.1 tablet via wifi only with no sim, so yeah, it can be done ;)

Upvote 0
Hi, again! First, I wanna' say how pleased I am with your help, you came into this forum like a superhero, providing the link to my particular tablet's disassembly manual and all!
Here I have an update. I tried battery disassembly-reassembly, and in my case, it didn't seem to help. My battery is not showing that it's worn out (it's nice and heavy, and not bloated). What would you recommend for me, now?

Ps: Would you tell me a site that sells Verizon tablet batteries that have a return/refund policy? (You don't need to go out of your way looking, it's okay).

Upvote 0
Hi, again! First, I wanna' say how pleased I am with your help, you came into this forum like a superhero, providing the link to my particular tablet's disassembly manual and all!
Here I have an update. I tried battery disassembly-reassembly, and in my case, it didn't seem to help. My battery is not showing that it's worn out (it's nice and heavy, and not bloated). What would you recommend for me, now?

Ps: Would you tell me a site that sells Verizon tablet batteries that have a return/refund policy? (You don't need to go out of your way looking, it's okay).
Whoa, totally missed your reply in this thread, sorry :(
I did see some on Ebay and Amazon, but before I offer a link, can you provide any info that is on the battery itself?
Such as serial number, model number etc. Just so I can be sure I'm offering the correct battery link ;)

Upvote 0
If I hold the power button, the verizon logo opening screen will come up, and the charger light will glow showing a charge is occurring, but the device dies when the cord is removed. Trying to turn on the tablet when not attached to electricity won't work, it doesn't turn on or show anything. I have tried letting it be plugged into the charger for 12 hours, but it hasn't charged the battery up.

*I've read that the tablet can operate without a SIM card

From what you've described it sounds like the battery has failed and needs to be replaced. Since your tablet can run when connected to the power adapter but not off its battery that's an indicator your tablet, and its charging port, are still OK, it's just the battery is not.

Regarding the SIM card, note that a tablet typically has two ways for online connectivity -- one is cellular (often referred to as mobile data) and the other is WiFi. A SIM card is only for cellular, supplied by a carrier and you pay them to use their cellular network. WiFi connectivity on the other hand is something you supply. But also keep in mind that cellular connectivity is much more expansive, its coverage is supplied by cell sites mounted on their own towers or on top of tall buildings, and is measured in miles. WiFi is more limited, supplied by local wireless access points and any WiFi network's coverage is typically measured in feet. So if you're planning on using your Ellipsis mostly at home, or in places with public WiFi you can often get by without a cellular connection and just rely on WiFi. But if you want to use your Ellipsis while traveling a lot you might want to be able to have a cellular connection as a backup. (A lot of people use a tablet just on WiFi and rely on their phone everywhere else.)
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-ellipsis-8-wifi-video/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones