• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help Needed - Wifi @ Home

BSME2010

Lurker
Dec 29, 2014
Hello all,
I followed the tasker profile tutorial here:

http://tasker.wikidot.com/wifi-automator

and successfully installed all tasks and profiles for the WiFi automator as well as scanning for cell towers and typing my WiFi in place of the generic one.

The tasker turns off the WiFi great when I leave the house. Problem is, it doesn't turn it back on. Ever.

With tasker enabled and the "Wifi Starter" profile active, nothing happens. If I open tasker and poke around, the only thing that stands out to me is this:

The "!Set" is what catches my eye. If I enter into the "Variable Set", I see this at the bottom:

Is there a parameter that is supposed to be entered here? It looks like an incomplete "If" statement to me, but I'm no programmer. Is this why this doesn't work? If not, does anyone know why I can't get this to work?

I've watched dozens of videos on YouTube and no one seems to have this problem. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Is there a parameter that is supposed to be entered here?
No, there is not supposed to be any parameter entered there...

Action 1 is a syntactically correct action (I'm not sure about logically correct*). It will assign a value to MYSTART if and only if that variable is not yet set/initialized (has no value stored)

You can check for yourself more about the "!" (not) operator and the "set" operator here:
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/flowcontrol.html
They are both unary operators requiring only one argument.

"set" takes a single variable as input and creates a boolean output
(MYSTART is the required single input to the "set" operator)

"!" takes a single boolean input and creates a boolean output
(the output of evaluation of the the "set" operator forms the single required input to the "!" operator.)

No further inputs are required by these operators in this statement (if you could put an argument on the right side, it would do nothing because there are no binary operators present in this action).

The red bar on the right side of that clause indicates the condition is not satisfied at the time you took your screenshot... i.e. the variable MYSTART already has a value ( You can verify this for yourself by inspecting it in the variables tab. )
That means the value of MYSTART will not get changed during this particular action unless the variable mystart gets cleared somewhere before this action executes.

* Is that what was intended by the original author or not? (logically correct?) Beats me. It's tough to know where it's going wrong without seeing the whole thing and I don't think I'd want to figure out someone else's convoluted logic without some type of documentation. It seems more complicated than it needs to be for simple wifi toggle upon arriving/leaving home. Maybe you can contact the author by commeting on the wiki. Otherwise I'd try to build a profile yourself or look for another one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi BSME2010
did you finally resolved your problem?
Look I'm having the same issue as you.
I would appreciate if you could keep me posted.

Regards

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-20-18-54-36.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-20-18-54-36.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Automate It is like Tasker for people who aren't programmers or use boolean operators in their everyday speech. Took me 2 minutes to get this set up.

That may be good input for folks shopping for a program.

But my instinct is to point out the other side. First I'll acknowledge that I have two things limiting my ability to give objective input on tasker vs automate it
1-I've never tried automate it.
2-I've used tasker for 3.5 years. (People tend to like doing things the way they've always done).

The Boolean logic will show up in some form in any solution that implements customizable logic. The "automate it" presents the logic graphically from what I've seen. Maybe that has some advantages.

Most of tasker programming now incorporates pull down menus, so there's not a lot of syntax to learn in tasker.

I honestly think that starting with someone else's program was probably the biggest obstacle you faced. In this case the author of that wiki profile has probably been programming for years...the way he does things (error trapping uninitialized variables in the portion you clipped) is way more complicated than the needs of someone just getting started. The tasker wiki examples potentially do a diservice in this respect. I'd encourage tasker beginners to start by building their own programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones