Help please - FolderOrganiser - Where do I save my new icon packs?

Last Updated:

1. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

Bit of a noob type question but hopefully one that can get answered really easily.

I have downloaded an icon pack from the internet onto my PC. I havce extracted the files and got them in a lovely folder. However, when I download them onto my Desire I can't seem to locate my new icons via FolderOrganiser Lite.

Is there a specific place where you have to save them on your SD card?

When I open FolderOrganiser Lite and select my icons I get the option of choosing 4 apps to get my icon packs from:

• Default icons
    • Android image gallery
    • AndExplorer
    • Icon Packs
    Yet I can't seem to get my new packs in any one of these 4 folders.

Can anyone shed some light please?

Thanks in advance. Your reward will be me hitting the thank you button....could it be you?!

Advertisement
  2. Dudditz

Dudditz Well-Known Member

When I do this I put them on my SD and they appear in the Android Image Gallery. You haven't put a nomedia file in with the icons have you, this would hide them...

3. freefall

Thanks for the reply. They do show up in my android image gallery but I can't seem to get FolderOrganiser to actually go and use that folder to pick out the icons. The icons are all png files and there is no nomedia file in with them too.

4. dajomel

dajomel Well-Known Member

Another option is to install ASTRO and when you select Android Gallery ASTRO comes up as am option and you just navigate to wherever you stored your icons on the SD Card. This method allows you to put a .nomedia file with the icons so they don't appear in your normal photo gallery :)

5. freefall

Don't you have to root for Astro to work?

6. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

You don't need to root to use Astro and it's free from the market.

I have mine saved as png files on my sd card (no specific place I just set up a folder for icons). From the options above I select Android Image Gallery and it then gives me the option of using Astro or Photos. I choose Astro and then select the icon from the file on my sd card.

Hope this helps.

freefall likes this.
  7. dajomel

No, ASTRO and other file managers can access the SD Card anyway. It's the phones internal memory it can't access. Give it a try. Worked for me with no problems :)

freefall likes this.
  8. freefall

Astro did the trick! I can now have my own icons!!! I'd just love to be able to get rid of the text beneath the folders but I know that you can't if the phone is not rooted. Ah well.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, much appreciated!

9. Dudditz

You can get rid of the text beneath icons without rooting. You need to install and run LauncherPro instead of Sense though.

freefall likes this.
  10. dajomel

As Dudditz said, you can by using Launcher as your "home". D/L Home Switcher and LauncherPro and enjoy the freedom to customize to your hearts content :)

freefall likes this.
  11. freefall

Oh yeah, now you meantion it, launcher pro. Hmmm...do I get rid of sense. That's another story. May consider it. I'm getting more and more used to android every day, and loving it! I may have to do it.

12. Dudditz

I would, I was wary about it at first (though I could potentially ruin my phone :D) but now I have it I wouldn't go back to Sense.

13. dajomel

I admit I thought about it for a while but then just thought 'why not?' Not used Sense since. Just remember to go to Personification>Scenes and Clean slate to clear Sense screens to avoid possible lag in LauncherPro :) Hope that helps.

freefall likes this.
  14. freefall

Thanks guys, the above info has been really helpful. I reckon I will go for launcher pro when I have more time. Finally just got around to doing my own labels....need to get a nice wallpaper now and get a cool theme going with some great apps and widgets. Then I'll get in the "show us your homescreen" thread