• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP PLZ!! orange san Francisco slow/non responsive!!

justme777

Lurker
Dec 20, 2011
can someone PLEASE help me before i throw my phone against a wall :(
i had my orange san Francisco for a few months now, its work perfectly fine up until recently. now when i am texting, using internet, facebook or just navigating through my phone the touch screen becomes very slow, as in, i can touch an icon to select it and it can take 4-5 seconds to select, not a long time in realitly but when trying to text someone its almost impossible!! this can happen on every letter i want to select.
i have kept upto date with any updates that come through automatically including android facebook. just recently i have had 2 updates for it in about 1 week. im not sure if these updates have anything to do with it but it has seemed to have got worse since then. also i have cleard cache, history and cookies, switched it off, taken battery and sim and sd card out too but still the same :(
anyone PLEASE have any ideas????

I have got exactly the same problem at the moment! Bought my phone in the summer, it's usually been fine but around 4-5 days ago it suddenly started running extremely slowly, trying to do anything on it is like trying to walk through treacle. With it being Christmas as well.... receiving and needing to send lots of festive texts.... absolute nightmare and like you say, it's going to get thrown at the wall soon! It seems to work normally for a bit in the morning, but then after sending even 1 or 2 texts it goes back to being mega slow again.

I haven't downloaded anything on it recently and I have tried turning it off, all night a couple of times, taking it apart and putting it back together again, makes no difference. I have installed the Watchdog Lite app and it's notifying me of a few things now and again - the most regular thing that is coming up is something called "com.orange.phonebackup:voxphonebackupservice". But not having had the app before I don't know if this has only been happening recently or not. The only thing I can think of out of the ordinary that's been going on is that my phone keeps trying to do a Contacts Backup but the notification is "Network connection failed". Not sure why that's happening or if it has anything to do with it, can't see why it would.

It's an Orange phone but having unlocked it to use on o2 PAYG I'm not that keen on going into an Orange shop to ask them - did this once before for something else and they practically refused to help me because I'd fiddled with it to allow o2 connection.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm about to go insane if I have to send another text!

Upvote 0
Glad it's not just me! I also have exactly the same issue with my San Fran. It's been fine up until the last couple of weeks or so and now I'm very close to stamping on the blasted thing, it's so mind-numbingly slow!! So if anyone out there does have an answer to our problem, I'm sure we'll all be eternally grateful!

Upvote 0
Slightly reassuring to know there's a few of us... wonder if it could be some sort of network problem affecting us all for some reason? What network are you both on?

I've just spent a few days over in Northern Ireland (I live in London) and my phone was working normally, or close to it, almost the whole time. Got back today - as soon as I turned my phone back on at the airport on the way home, it was back to being mega slow again. In Northern Ireland they don't have a 3G network so I was running off 2G the whole time - wonder if that could have something to do with it? I've already tried turning off my 3G in London though, and it seemed to make no difference.

No idea of a solution yet but just trying to add more clues. I popped into an Orange shop last week and the only obvious solution they offered was to download a software update from the Android website. Not hopeful that will resolve it but I'm going to try shortly. If that fails, they said I should consider returning it - it's got a month left on its warranty.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I came looking on this site because I had the same problem too!

However one of you said it was to do with contact-backup which my phone has been trying to do constantly ever since it went slow.

But I think (I think) I've fixed it. And here's how...
I clicked menu - settings
Then selected Applications
Then Manage Applications
Then you have to scroll through the list and find 'Backup' click on that and then select uninstall.

This will mean your contacts won't be backed up, but I don't mind that much because it seems to be running again fine... for now!

Let me know if you have any luck! :)

Reactions: Escape Goat
Upvote 0
i have kinda sorted it. but still plays up a few days later.
i have been going into 'task manager' > task> and then 'kill' all apps that are shown except 'network location', 'task manager' and 'touch panal'. it speeds the phone back up to normal instantly, but still a mistry as to why it has started it in the first place. dont know why they still run in the background.

also when i check the cpu the usage is around 90%.... a stipid amount. but as soon as i 'kill' all those apps it goes straight down to around 13% and at normal speed.

Upvote 0
Nate - tried that and it has worked, thanks! Back to normal running speed, what a relief. Is it just the contacts backup that has been uninstalled, not any other forms of backup? The Watchdog App has calmed down now as well, hardly any notifications coming through now and none for the backup thing that I posted earlier.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Alas my phone is doing my head in again, back to being slow... as I said above I uninstalled the contacts back up and that seemed to work for a few days, but gradually it has slowed down - for an hour or two a day at first and now pretty much all day again. It seems to work ok in the morning, as soon as I do something like send a text it immediately starts running slow. I actually can't do anything with it - trying to scroll through my apps for example is almost impossible, the touch response is so bad it keeps selecting things when I am trying to drag.

The Watchdog notification about "com.orange.phonebackup:voxphonebackupservice" is reappearing a lot again, I have "killed" this using the app but it hasn't apparently made any difference.

I think I'm going to return the phone, it has a few weeks left of its warranty so I don't want to chance it really :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones