• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Root the Droid!

Well some people are convinced Google and/or Motorola won't be able to get their act together to fix the momentary stuttering of the side swipes in the Home screen and other stuff, so they want to be able to use the Sense UI instead or a third-party tweaked version of Android 2.0.

I know this was a few weeks ago, but I have a question. Running SenseUI or the Hero Rom on the Droid wouldn't help the stuttering, would it? From my understanding, the Droid stutters not because of software, but primarily because of the high screen res. Is this true?

If so, the only thing I see rooting help with (stutter-wise) would be by overclocking the CPU.

Upvote 0
Considering the phone can play high-def video without stuttering, I bet you that the stutter issue is something of a glitch that will be patched by Motorola soon and by any custom ROMs.

It's not really a very high resolution screen when you consider that this phone has a 700mhz processor. My old 60mhz pentium II could play 3D video games at a similar resolution.

Upvote 0
Considering the phone can play high-def video without stuttering, I bet you that the stutter issue is something of a glitch that will be patched by Motorola soon and by any custom ROMs.

It's not really a very high resolution screen when you consider that this phone has a 700mhz processor. My old 60mhz pentium II could play 3D video games at a similar resolution.

I thought it was 600MHz downclocked to 550?

Upvote 0
It would seem that I'm still banned by my significant other from significant work against the Droid. That being the case, I thought I'd give y'all some ideas...

If you're looking at rooting this device, you need to find an attack vector that allows you to get past the java sandbox. That being the case, look for items that allow you to access system components that would not be running on top of the application vm.

Things such as the ##PROGRAM menu are probably not on top of the application vm.

In addition, you'll find that MOST current devices have a method that allows them to pull firmware from an external source for testing / reset purposes. If you can figure out the series of keys that allow that for the Droid, you may have some luck there.

Upvote 0
We need like an official update thread so it doesnt get all of this junk in there...too many useless posts when I just wanna find some news or updates on the matter...

and I was looking on the market today... I always check on the new apps that come out every day and I see this
daimod program from droid heaven.

heres the announcement page...
DaiMod – Dedicated Android Improver.

says something about a rom that should be comming out today called iDroid. But this sounds like more of a direct port of android 2.0 that can be put on G1 or other android cupcake phones.

Any thoughts?

Considering it is XDA, my guess would be that it was designed for HTC phones.

No news about it on XDA

Upvote 0
For anyone that gets the new 2.0.1 update and wants to help towards rooting the Droid... try the following!

-Click install and update
-Once the phone reboots (before you get to the recovery screen) pull the battery out.
-Pull out the microSD card and put it into an adapter and then into the computer
-See if there is a update.zip on the card
-If there is, please upload it!

After you do that, you should be able to power on the phone with the SD card back in and the update should continue. If you don't want to update you should be able to delete the update.zip and continue on without the update.

(thanks to microbolt)

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't you pull the card before you do the update? After you get the update notification....just power off first, pull the card, copy off the update file, re-insert card, power on, run update...no? Seems like a bad idea to try to yank the card in the middle of the update reboot....sounds like a way to brick your phone. I'm assuming that the update file is already downloaded to the phone before you hit Install. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't you pull the card before you do the update? After you get the update notification....just power off first, pull the card, copy off the update file, re-insert card, power on, run update...no? Seems like a bad idea to try to yank the card in the middle of the update reboot....sounds like a way to brick your phone. I'm assuming that the update file is already downloaded to the phone before you hit Install. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

you have to download it all first. it gets installed after it gets downloaded. in between these two steps is where we can get the update.zip

if you just have a notification, you havent done anything. its just having a text message notification up there, its ready and waiting for you but you just havent read it yet. in this case, there is an update ready and waiting for you but you still have to download it and then install it.

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't you pull the card before you do the update?

actually, this is exactly what you would be doing. like i said in my original post about all this, you can move ahead with the update if you leave the update.zip on the card, or you can go ahead WITHOUT doing the update by deleting the file. remember, this is all barring the file is on the card.

Upvote 0
For anyone that gets the new 2.0.1 update and wants to help towards rooting the Droid... try the following!

-Click install and update
-Once the phone reboots (before you get to the recovery screen) pull the battery out.
-Pull out the microSD card and put it into an adapter and then into the computer
-See if there is a update.zip on the card
-If there is, please upload it!

After you do that, you should be able to power on the phone with the SD card back in and the update should continue. If you don't want to update you should be able to delete the update.zip and continue on without the update.

(thanks to microbolt)

Thanks for posting this. I will do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones