• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! S3.amazonaws.com has hijacked my phone

last night a friend sent me a link to a reputable car sale site in the UK... I clicked the link and then got those annoying pop up adverts appear in a new tab which lock you out from using the browser... I opened my task manager and ended the task immediately like I always do. I then reopened Google Chrome and I was diverted straight away to the same security message...It wouldn't leave so I uninstalled Google Chrome... I started it back up and it had gone. 12 hours later it came back! I've uninstalled Google again and reinstalled and now I'm asking how on earth do I get rid of it? Every Google search I do comes up with how to remove it from a pc... there is nothing I can find that relates to mobile phones!! I have a Samsung galaxy s6... up to date with the system. The attacking site appears to be
S3.amazonaws.com

I've added a screenshot

help please

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160824-220046.png
    Screenshot_20160824-220046.png
    370.6 KB · Views: 1,319
so there is no way to stop this happening when using chrome? The only solution is to use Samsung browser? my avg doesn't pick it up.....

Also is this not something that's on my phone? from what I've read the cure for the pc is to uninstall system files and rename stuff because it hijacks that actual computer system and apparently takes details etc...

Upvote 0
There is but you'd have to root your phone, which would void the warranty. Also if done improperly the device could be damaged.

Edit: There are other adb locking browsers for non-rooted phones. Samsung is just convenient. Its actually a good browser if given a chance.

ok cheers :) so you don't think this is a physical virus on my phone like it is with the pc? it's weird that it came up and then vanished but then came back again when looking at a completely different site... it came back again whilst I was reading messages on here too

Upvote 0
Hey guys. so I did exactly what jfalls63 said by force stopping chrome then the cache wipe (by turning off phone, holding the power button + volume up + home button then selecting wipe cache partition for those who don't know how) then uninstalling and reinstalling and so far it hasn't returned and I've been safely using Google Chrome. Pretty sure thats worked. Thanks

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones