• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck in bootloop

techack

Jan 31, 2014
Hi,

I understand that this thread is in wrong forum but I need a quick response, so request the mods to not move this thread immediately.

I have been using CM Nightly of 15Jan 2014. Today, I tried installing Nightly of 30Jan2014 through
Clockworkmod Recovery 6.0.2.3 but the installation failed with error:

set_metadata_recursive : some changes failed
error is /sdcard/0/Cyandelta/cm-11-xxx.zip
Status 7
Installation Aborted

Now, the tab is in a bootloop at Samsung logo and sometimes it boots into Recovery.

Please suggest a solution.

Thanks

Hi techack ... let's get right into it.

I am going to assume you don't have a nandroid backup available to restore your tab.

Since you can get into recovery, and you have CWM 6.0.2.3 this is what I'd do. First go get a stable build of CyanogenMod, probably 10 at this point, and the suitable copy of gapps and copy them to an SD card.

Put the sd card into the tab and you should be able to mount it in recovery. Then simply flash the stable rom and gapps. It would probably be a good idea to flush the caches before you flashed, too.

Once you can boot into CM10 (or whatever stable release you use), make a nandroid backup, especially if you are going to be experimenting with the nightlies. From that point forward you always have a restore point to go back to.

Once you've done that you can then try the CM nightlies with the safety net of a nandroid to go back to.

Upvote 0
That still isnt the latest CWM mate. If you got it from Rom Manager, thats sometimes a bit out of date.
Maybe its the latest for your tab though(?)
You could try TWRP recovery. A lot of people swear by it. Just do a search for the version for your device, put it on your sd card and flash the zip in CWM then reboot recovery :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Not sure exactly which Samsung phone you have but CWM on most of the devices from the S2 on up seem to be using 6.0.4.5 as the latest. You can grab it FOR YOUR SPECIFIC PHONE here.

Now, please be advised that rommanager has never played nice with Samsung phones and I'd recommend NOT using it to flash. One of the things it is noted for is messing with custom recoveries.

Upvote 0
techack,

A couple of ideas:

1. Can you tell us the download link / URL of the nightly you're trying to flash (or confirm that it's this link)

2. Can you verify that the MD5 checksum of the above download matches this:
8e0c1befd7412cd9356d07c356b2d1a1​
(or that the MD5 checksum of the file that you did download matches what is published on the CyanogenMod site for your device?)

As Mikestony alluded to above, a bad download might be the source of your issues bootloop issues...

3. It looks like there are two more recently nightlys (nightlies?) available that you might try instead..

4. There are several set_metadata_recursive updater-script entries in the above nightly that all try to recursively secure things in the /system partition:
Code:
set_metadata_recursive("/system", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/addon.d", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/bin", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/etc/dhcpcd", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:dhcp_system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/etc/init.d", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/etc/ppp", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0555, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:ppp_system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/vendor/bin", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:pvrsrvinit_exec:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/vendor/etc", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/vendor/lib/drm", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
set_metadata_recursive("/system/xbin", "uid", 0, "gid", 2000, "dmode", 0755, "fmode", 0755, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:object_r:system_file:s0");
If you're familiar with using adb, you could do this:

- after you've experienced a boot loop

- re-launch your device in your custom recovery

- from your PC, do an adb pull /cache/recovery/last_log last_log.txt (also try adb pull /cache/recovery/log log.txt in case there's an old-school named version of that recovery log)

- that / those recovery log file(s) should show you exactly which assert command is failing and you could further use adb to navigate into your device and possibly see exactly why the recursive re-secure is failing *.

* I can tell you that I've experienced the set_perm_recursive failure and resulting bootloop on my Nexus 7, but that was because I had previously used OTA RootKeeper (and another app ;) :p) which had saved a copy of the su binary in the /system partition with an immutable status that keeps it from being removed or altered which subsequently causes the set_perm_recursive command to fail.

Best of luck!

:)

Upvote 0
Nice one Scary :beer:
Yeah op the reason we're trying to help here instead of you contacting the cm devs or posting in their thread is that people here will probably be a bit more patient and helpful.
You could also have a look in the CyanogenMod google+ community but it has a lot of idiot members (unlike AF) :D

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Thanks @scary for just a detailed reply...
Here is my point-wise response to your post:

1. Yes, the link is correct. My device is P 5100 GSM.

2. The MD5 of nightly of 13th Feb matches.

3. Last working nightly was around mid-Jan. Can I somehow get the link to download it?

4. Your point#4 seems a bit technical, any URLs to some help pages will be appreciated. CM 10.1.3 works fine for me (no bootloop)
So, for trying your #4, do I need to flash latest nightly and be in bootloop?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Thanks @scary for just a detailed reply...
Here is my point-wise response to your post:

No problem--happy to help and that's what we're here for :).

1. Yes, the link is correct. My device is P 5100 GSM.

Thanks for the confirmation! :thumbup:

2. The MD5 of nightly of 13th Feb matches.

Excellent! (glad you know how to do this--very good best practice)

3. Last working nightly was around mid-Jan. Can I somehow get the link to download it?

I see them all for your device here: CyanogenMod Downloads

4. Your point#4 seems a bit technical, any URLs to some help pages will be appreciated. CM 10.1.3 works fine for me (no bootloop)
So, for trying your #4, do I need to flash latest nightly and be in bootloop?

Well, this might be a last-resort type of deal--if you were conversant with adb, we could pull the aforementioned files off of your device and navigate into your /system partition to find the baddie.

Now, giving more weight to the other's responses since this device isn't my forte' (I don't own it and am just offering advice re. the troubleshooting aspects), I think I would:

- see if the other's above have any other advice feedback for you, and then
- take a Nandroid backup and save it off to your PC
- download (and verify the MD5) of the latest nightly
- do the requisite wipes and flash the latest nightly

If you still have an issue after this, then we could delve into having you download the adb utility and try to drill-down to the issue you're having (adb isn't too difficult, the USB drivers for Windows sometimes are, though). This would likely still only point-out what the issue might be and might not necessarily help you get around it.

The proper wiping and flashing of a known working ROM should get you going, though, so I'm guessing maybe you just missed a wipe? :dontknow: (like I said, this device and CM ROM is not in my domain).

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones