• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help the Hacking Community!

I just got this off my log, but it is not doing anything when I put it in my browser. Can someone make any sense out of it?

Code:
http://ws-cloud113-blur.svcmot.com:2682/blur-services-1.0/ws/upgrade/2/download_upgrade/000008E56071/4503599776620657/Blur_Version.1.13.516.MB810.Verizon.en.US?k=android&l=10000008e56071&f=pb&p=45&h=Cr2SxBUrQ.Pa5Pqc5N1hWVT8qMc&of=0&ssl=0

And this when it finished...

Code:
http://ws-cloud113-blur.svcmot.com:80/blur-services-1.0/ws/upgrade/1/report_upgrade_status/000008E56071/4503599776620657?k=android&l=10000008e56071&f=pb&p=197&h=CdJ1CS4Hm1ZbQPrkMWRUoLZOaok&of=0&ssl=0

Upvote 0
This is worrisome. I went ahead and did the update, and I made it show the log (press the search button in recovery)

Here's what it looks like after it's all done:

IMG_20100720_013234.jpg

What's worrisome is that the bootloader has been updated, so Motorola may have patched any security holes...or created new ones?

Either way, those looking to root, maybe it might be a good idea to hold off on running the update.

Upvote 0
Just checking back in... How were folks trying to capture the URL?

I used the aLogcat app and it does seem to work fine. However, I'm thinking that using the ddms.bat debugging (Dalvik Debug Monitor) tool from the Android SDK might work better. You can be futzing with the phone and the PC at the same time and have the logcat running before the update is even announced.

I think that was my problem. The update pop-up came up and then I re-verified that aLogcat was running before allowing the download to start (or so I thought). I do have some URLs in my logcat, but they look like the ones already posted :( (I also tried to launch them from FireFox).

Anyway, I'm sure someone will still get this captured. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just a quick question for those that may be in the know. I rooted my Droid X after I got home from work today. Then I performed the "Check for Updates" as I knew one was available. I downloaded the update, selected not to install at this time, browsed my Droid X with Root Explorer while checking the the time stamp on files. My update was located in the /cache directory under the filename similar to my current System Version (1.13.516 etc...)

Two files where downloaded. One with the extention of .crc and one with the extention of .zip

Me being the curious type (and a Linux/Unix user for years) I copied the files over to my sdcard and then onto my Linux computer before I installed the update.

Interesting enough and as expected, after the update I no longer had root access. Back to step one and rooted my Droid X again. However, this time the /cache directory was empty and of course now I have a new "System Version" (1.13.604)...

Could the update file have been stored in /cache and do the relevant files contain useful information. This of course I do not know. But if anyone is interested I could upload the files...

Edit: But I am sure others have already done this...

Murph

Upvote 0
Just a quick question for those that may be in the know. I rooted my Droid X after I got home from work today. Then I performed the "Check for Updates" as I knew one was available. I downloaded the update, selected not to install at this time, browsed my Droid X with Root Explorer while checking the the time stamp on files. My update was located in the /cache directory under the filename similar to my current System Version (1.13.516 etc...)

Two files where downloaded. One with the extention of .crc and one with the extention of .zip

Me being the curious type (and a Linux/Unix user for years) I copied the files over to my sdcard and then onto my Linux computer before I installed the update.

Interesting enough and as expected, after the update I no longer had root access. Back to step one and rooted my Droid X again. However, this time the /cache directory was empty and of course now I have a new "System Version" (1.13.604)...

Could the update file have been stored in /cache and do the relevant files contain useful information. This of course I do not know. But if anyone is interested I could upload the files...

Edit: But I am sure others have already done this...

Murph

The update.zip may be helpful to the guys trying to crack the bootloader, but they may have already acquired it. The two files you found must have had to do with the update because the phone automatically deletes the update files after the update so that you cannot obtain them. Anyway good job, and thanks for grabbing it (not sure if you posted on alldroid too but i downloaded it from there)

Upvote 0
Hey mazz, just wanted to say that, no, I did not post at alldroid (I still need to register...)

However, I did check out the update.zip that was posted there. Unfortunately that file is in no way related to the update that I received. But then again that poster said it was downloaded to his sd card (which would very much surprise me) where mine was downloaded to internal memory (the /cache directory which I believe more plausible to limit public access).

Murph

Upvote 0
Odd, your files size is slightly different then the one mine reported.

kricheck,

Just to follow-up, I downloaded the .604 update file that someone (Webst3r) posted (.604 update.zip download. - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum) and checked the downloaded file size vs. the references did match the ones in my logcats and I did see kazillion :) references to the actual file size (19,391,229). There was (I presume) a line similar to the following for each file contained in the .zip:

"D/cUs ( 1304): CusSM.handleWSDownloadResponse: read 447229/18944000/19391229 isDone: false"

The line that I reported earlier, the size in must be something else / related (D/WSBase ( 1304): doRequest(): upgrade/2/download_upgrade resp length: 19415120).

Thanks!

Reactions: krichek
Upvote 0
kricheck,

Just to follow-up, I downloaded the .604 update file that someone (Webst3r) posted (.604 update.zip download. - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum) and checked the downloaded file size vs. the references did match the ones in my logcats and I did see kazillion :) references to the actual file size (19,391,229). There was (I presume) a line similar to the following for each file contained in the .zip:

"D/cUs ( 1304): CusSM.handleWSDownloadResponse: read 447229/18944000/19391229 isDone: false"

The line that I reported earlier, the size in must be something else / related (D/WSBase ( 1304): doRequest(): upgrade/2/download_upgrade resp length: 19415120).

Thanks!

You know, the sizes were so close I just found it really odd that there was an actual difference, Especially when the line in my log had said "I appear to have read the entire file 19391229/0", things that make you go "Hmmm" I guess. :D

Thanks for the follow up tho! I might have to download that file and check it out myself. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones