• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! Upgraded to KitKat - game in 2nd profile stopped working - 100s of hours of progress at risk!

ljrichter

Lurker
Mar 1, 2014
I've been receiving a popup window to upgrade my tablet's OS to KitKat 4.4.2 for a long time, but I've ignored it due to not knowing if I would lose my son's game progress on various games he plays.

Well, last night I accidentally clicked the button to upgrade. I took heed to all the previous warnings I had read and did not try to stop it as it was instantly in progress. So, the upgrade completed and I tentatively checked various programs on my profile and saw no problems - it didn't even mess up my settings and kept all my data intact. I was breathing pretty easy about then.

But, I have a second profile set up for my son and had yet to check that. My son was biting his nails, concerned that the (probably) hundreds of hours of progress he had made in Rise of Berk would be lost. (Up until last night, I didn't know there was a way to back up the progress for this game, so I didn't have it backed up - again, that was the very reason I had put off upgrading my system).

So I switched over to my son's profile and started having issues. I got popups that TouchWiz had stopped working, then Amazon Kindle, then Amazon Music (though these programs were all working fine in my main profile). Then we tried to open Rise of Berk and got the same popup - it had stopped working. All his other games loaded up fine with all progress saved. Of all the games my son plays on the tablet, there are only two he cares about, and this was one of them. It's so unfortunate that this has happened. I feel certain his progress is still there, as I see a large amount of data listed under the application (on the SD card), but since the program won't work, obviously he can't access it.

I cleared the cache and default settings on TouchWiz, but it's still popping up "not working." I also cleared the cache on Rise of Berk, Amazon Kindle and Amazon Music. Then I moved all files related to those programs from my SD card onto the internal storage. Again, no change. In between each change, I've done a cold reboot. I ended up removing Amazon Kindle and Amazon Music from the second profile.

I'm afraid to remove Rise of Berk for fear I'll lose all of his progress. I don't completely understand how programs work on a second profile - if they're considered new installations or just having access to an already installed program. (Rise of Berk works fine on my profile, by the way.)

For those who are unfamiliar with how setting up an additional profile works... while in the main profile, a new user profile is created and the only programs that will work on the second profile are manually selected from a list of programs already installed on the device. New installations have to be done through the main profile, then selected to be shared or accessed with the second profile (or at least that's how mine is set up).

So I'm wondering if I go to my main profile, deselect Rise of Berk to be shared/accessed on the second profile, cold reboot, then go back and select ROB to allow access again, if the program would then work right on the second profile - and would the data (progress) still be there - or would it be lost? (If I tried this, I would move the data back to the SD card beforehand.)

I've copied all the files/data from my main storage and SD card onto my PC, but is this too little too late? If I save the data files and reload them, in theory, it seems like it should work. But I know that may be pie in the sky.

Any help will be appreciated.

P.S. Any help regarding what to do about TouchWiz would be appreciated, also (though this is certainly a secondary issue right now). If I clear it from the default, will that mess up my tablet. If I force close/shut down TouchWiz, will the tablet still work? I'm having a hard time finding any info as to exactly WHAT TouchWiz does and how it operates. Thanks again.

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition
Model SM-P600
Android Version 4.4.2

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones