• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help With DooMKernel on Xperia Play

l Ok, so I have an Xperia Play R800AT (AT&T special) with a locked bootloader. I decided last week to root my device and was succesful in doing so by using a version of Gingerbreak. It granted my superuser access, but I now want to install DooMKernel on it. I have been trying for a week with no luck. I tried doing everything on all of the threads thst I have read, but have gotten nowhere.

I have CWM Auto Installer installed and used that to gain tecoveryaccess. I also have flashtool and drivers installed on my computer and my phone connects appropriatly to it. However, I have had no luck figuring out a way to install the DooMKernel Boot.IMG onto my device.

I relunctantly have put this process on hold and am considering givingup. I don't want to though. I want to figure this out if possible.

Has anyone out there had any luck installing DooMKernel or any custom kernels onto a carrier locked Play? Any advice or instructions would be greatlyappreciated.

I'm gonna answer you here, because its most appropriate in this sub forum.

UNLESS YOUR BOOTLOADER IS UNLOCKED, YOU CANNOT INSTALL A CUSTOM KERNEL.

For Xperia line phones, the /boot partition is locked, and is not mounted, unlike the majority of other android devices, so CWM cannot be used to flash a new custom kernel.

If you do want to flash a custom kernel, and you are on a carrier locked phone, it does cost money ($24.)

If you still want to unlock your bootloader, I used http://www.unlock-bootloader.com

Pax
Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Reactions: BeefBravo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones