• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with HTC Keyboard

After seeing that people were liking the HTC keyboard better then the one that comes with the X10 I thought I would give it a try. I read through the threads and thought I understood the install process but I can't seem to get it to work. Here is what I did:
Down loaded the high-res version titled HTC_IME.APK to my computer.
Transfered the file to the root of my SD card,
Used file manager to find the file,
Selecting the file with file manager caused the file to install, there were no errors during the install.
I rebooted the phone and went to setting - locale & text and put a check mark beside Touch Keyboard
Opened my SMM and hard pressed the white text box near the flashing cursor.
This brought up an menu called Edit Text - Input Method
Selected Touch input.

At this point I get the following error - Sorry! The application Touch Input (process com.htc.android htcime) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. There is a Force Close button that clears the screen but the error comes back almost at once even though I'm not in an app that is calling the keyboard.

I have unselected the Touch key board and now all is well. Any thoughts as to what I did wrong?

Thanks

In my Locale and Text it actually says HTC_IME mod, nothing about touch keypad.

Do you have a mini pro?

My version of events would be...

Install Linda file manager free from market.
Download the high res version to PC
Unzip and then copy the .apk file over to SD card
Locate file on SD card with Linda and run package installer when you tap on the file
Go to locale & text and find HTC_IME mod and tick, set up any preferences in the drop down below
And then happy texting.

Reactions: Jcol
Upvote 0
you may be having problems as there are two parts to the htc_ime mod
theres the mod.apk and clicker both parts required and need installing. i installed the clicker first then the htc_ime.
here are the XDA instructions

Instructions:
  • Download and unzip (not flashable update.zip!)
  • Install the two apks (HTC_IME & Clicker) using your favorite method (via a file manager or adb install -r). Sense users shouldn't (and needn't) install Clicker.
  • There is no need to push anything to /system
  • Go to Menu, Settings, Language & Keyboard. Activate "HTC_IME mod"
  • To change keyboard, long press on lower left key on stock keyboard or any input field. Select input method in the menu.
and link to XDA thread for files and help

[MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Good Luck

Reactions: Jcol
Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you for your help. I had not installed the clicker app. I thought I read somewhere that it was optional with the X10, however I just did a reinstall of both and I now have the HTC keyboard working.:D

You had and that was my bad:eek: I have updated the other thread to note that you need to have both although I am sure I have never actually run the installer on the clicker app. But anyway folks... follow the advice here and not your dumb phone guide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones