• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

crandroid

Jun 18, 2010
I think I may have bricked my phone.

I was attempting to install Zanfur's kernel (from here >> Overclock Patch and update.zip - xda-developers). After flashing, the phone took over half an hour to reboot, so I pulled the battery. After that, I can't seem to get the phone to reboot at all. I've tried almost everything - nandroid backup, redoing the zanfur flash, reflashing ROMS, charging the battery, etc.

Can anyone offer any help? Please don't tell me this is what a bricked phone looks like...

Just to clarify, it looks like this - the phone either stays at the white screen with 3 Android skateboarders for a very long time, or it gets to the next set of screens (such as HTC/Verizon for Ivan's 1.0 or the Energy Star/Android for Aloysius Snow) and cycles through them indefinitely.

I was using Aloysius Snow beforehand if it matters.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, it looks like this - the phone either stays at the white screen with 3 Android skateboarders for a very long time, or it gets to the next set of screens (such as HTC/Verizon for Ivan's 1.0 or the Energy Star/Android for Aloysius Snow) and cycles through them indefinitely.

I was using Aloysius Snow beforehand if it matters.
You can't boot into recovery? It's not bricked, bricked means it does nothing at all. Try booting into recovery and see if you can restore from there.

Upvote 0
Well, good news and bad news.

It's not bricked; I've gotten it to boot. However, I'm still having some serious rebooting issues.

I had to go into recover, wipe everything, flash Aloysius Snow and Zanfur's kernel v3, and then reboot. However, when I try to power down my phone normally, it just displays the "shutting down" popup box for a really long time and never shuts down. After pulling the battery, I have all the same booting problems again.

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong, or have any suggestions about what to try next? I'd be willing to unroot my phone if I have to, as long as I have a phone that I can turn off without having to wipe everything to turn it back on.

Upvote 0
Only good news this time :)

Fortunately, I didn't have to use the RUU, although it's nice to know about that for the future. I found a few posts in the Aloysius XDA thread about some problems with Zanfur's kernel. It turns out that using the flashable kernel causes some boot problems (giving me the loop). I had to wipe the ext partition and then reflash Aloysius to get things back to normal. Then, I had to use fastboot to install Zanfur's kernel.

Now, however, I've got a beautiful Aloysius Snow Eris that's OC'd to 768, which is all I wanted in the first place. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones