• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero 141mb vs Moment 261mb

futura65

Lurker
Dec 28, 2009
Ok,
so I was so excited to get my new Hero, I meant to write down some initial specs on the phone before I started using it, however that didn't happen. I forgot how much memory I started with as I had noticed I was down at around 93mb. So, I went to a sprint store and reset the display model back to factory settings to restore everything back to zero. Viola, 141mb, a number I seemed to have remembered. But I of course thought, that's sure is a lot less than the 512mb they advertise (seems a little false claim if the OS takes up 72% of the "space"...anyways, I then saw the moment sitting there and though hu, so I reset the Moment back to factory settings. It had 261mb at fresh start. Now that's a little more like it.

Does the HTC stuff on the hero really take up THAT much more room on the Hero than on the Moment?

Reading this forum I went in and cleared the cache of the browser and a few other things and gained back 12mb! Hopefully more Apps will use the internal SD card and new updates will allow for users to remove unwanted pre installed junk.

Yeah, I mean, I feel I have loaded a great amount of necessities at this point and used, 40'ish MB of space. This is with all the sysc stuff up and running for my POP email, google calendars, My Maps on google, facebook junk, etc... plus a number of must have Apps. At this point, anything I add is because I'm bored and am using it for a toy.

But, I was just shocked at the 120mb difference between the Hero and Moment. That's almost the amount you start with on the Hero. Just seemed a little....extreme. The 2MB card...I'm not even close on using up. Like I said, more apps need to be taking advantage of that space.

Upvote 0
I actually removed a few apps that I downloaded that were just kind of there because I felt like the performance was lacking, after deleting a good 10 mbs of apps, files etc... my Hero is as snappy as ever. I'm not sure if the number of apps effect the performace of your Heros but you might want to minimize the amount of apps you download if not swap out new apps that you get for ones you stopped using.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones