• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hey Nexus S 4G users, how long did your battery last?

My battery life is terrible. At full charge in the morning, it barely survives the day with low usage -- It's just idling when I am in the office, where I have a landline & full laptop.

Thinking about getting an extended battery. Any recommendations?

What does rooted mean?

have you checked Latitude? once i shut that down i got much better battery life.

Upvote 0
Mine is horrible as well. I even rooted and am running Oxygen ROM. If I stream just a little music I get less than 4 hours. My EVO had better better battery life. I kept hearing how good the NS4G battery life was and so far not so good. I erased battery stats and it improves some. I am running identical programs as my EVO so I expected at least the same results. The I really like this phone and want it to work out. I I wish there were some cheap extended batteries on eBay but they are all for the Nexus S. and not the 4G.

Upvote 0
There is a discussion in the Google threads about the Maps application showing up in the battery usage as a high consumer, and there was one suggestion that stuck out to me and I have tried it. I believe my battery usage has become better, something worth trying. I turned off use wirelss networks in the location settings. This phone has a pretty robust GPS receiver in it, compared to a Vibrant of course, or the Galaxy S line, so I am not too concerned about it. If I run GPS applications, it will lock on within seconds, so I am not too worried about the other option. It has given me more battery life by the end of the day at work. Hope this helps, I have only been doing this for a week myself.

Upvote 0
The Nexus S is shipped from the factory with the NFC enabled. This eats up a ton of battery. From the home menu:

Settings
Wireless & Networks
Scroll down to NFC, uncheck box (as long as you do not use this feature)
Exit.

This should help battery life if it is still enabled. Also, choose a good battery saving program. Juice Defender is OK, I prefer 2X Battery. You pay a few dollars for it, but it is a smaller program, uses less RAM and CPU which preserves battery, and is faster at enabling/disabling data connection. It's all about the tweaks in one of these programs that extends life. I have mine set at 1 hour refresh intervals. There are settings from 10 min to 2 hrs, so depending on how frequent you need things like email/facebook updates, your battery life will alter. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I'm on GPA17, underclocked to 800 and 'Powersave'. I use voice pretty heavily. I'm glad I get (mostly) through an entire day...my EVO never did.

Medium call use (~2.5 hours), and a bit of YouTube at the end to pop up the Display %...
ns4g1.png

ns4g2.png

ns4g5.png

Upvote 0
That's a pretty steep chart. I make some to a few phone calls, never a huge phone talker, not a heavy talker like you. I can make it all the way until 10PM from 8AM, so at least 14 hours and still have 40% at least left. I run a fair amount of apps as well. Running 2.3.5, not sure how and why everyone is suffering so much. I am doing a lot better on this phone than the Vibrant I had that's for sure.

Upvote 0
That's a pretty steep chart. I make some to a few phone calls, never a huge phone talker, not a heavy talker like you. I can make it all the way until 10PM from 8AM, so at least 14 hours and still have 40% at least left. I run a fair amount of apps as well. Running 2.3.5, not sure how and why everyone is suffering so much. I am doing a lot better on this phone than the Vibrant I had that's for sure.

Same here. I'm can get 14hrs out of my phone, and I'm a heavy texter.

Upvote 0
This is my third day with my Crespo4g. I was coming from a MyTouch3g, which i'd routinely get 3-4 days out of a charge. Day one, I didn't keep track of battery usage, because I was upgrading to 4.04 OTA, installing CM9, etc. Yesterday, my battery life was atrocious. It was down to 30% after about 5 hours, with data turned off for most of the time. I've since turned off most syncing, disabled NFC, and had data enabled (even 4g). Its been off the charger for 7 and half hours, and is at 42%. 4G kept going in and out, because 4g signal is weak at work, and I've used GPS a bit (I've been riding my bike to work, and so had GPS on, with My Tracks logging my trip, when I road to work, then when I went to lunch).

Battery life still leaves to be desired, but I'm much happier with things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones