• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hey there guys, i just jumped on the android wagon =)

tekniqs

Apr 3, 2010
picked myself up a milestone (HK) a few days ago and i haven't opened it yet haha. I'm trying to read up on stuff about android/roms/apps/etc before i dive into it. All this info is SERIOUSLY becoming confusing. things like bootloaders, nandroids, roms, are giving me a headache.

is there like one place or a forum or a thread that gives the rundown on all this stuff? I don't want to F up my phone before i even start using it haha!

umm one question, do i need my unit to be rooted already to flash the backup of another user on it? I saw a modified HK backup with some neat stuff and i want to try that out.

anyways, this feels like i'm taking a course of android 101

Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, just go ahead and start using your phone. It's designed to be used straight out the box. Just follow the setup and download a few apps you might like. That's pretty much all you have to worry about at first.

I wouldn't recommend rooting your phone yet, you've just got it and rooting will void the warranty on most, if not all, phones.

Upvote 0
picked myself up a milestone (HK) a few days ago and i haven't opened it yet haha. I'm trying to read up on stuff about android/roms/apps/etc before i dive into it. All this info is SERIOUSLY becoming confusing. things like bootloaders, nandroids, roms, are giving me a headache.

is there like one place or a forum or a thread that gives the rundown on all this stuff? I don't want to F up my phone before i even start using it haha!

umm one question, do i need my unit to be rooted already to flash the backup of another user on it? I saw a modified HK backup with some neat stuff and i want to try that out.

anyways, this feels like i'm taking a course of android 101
Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums!

Firstly, just go ahead and start using your phone. It's designed to be used straight out the box. Just follow the setup and download a few apps you might like. That's pretty much all you have to worry about at first.

I wouldn't recommend rooting your phone yet, you've just got it and rooting will void the warranty on most, if not all, phones.

Welcome aboard!

I am content with my phone being stock. Rooting and all the other stuff may come later, but right now it works for me as it is...

Upvote 0
If you turn it on you'll still be able to install things from the market.
As for getting non-market apps on your phone, you can either download them to your pc and then transfer them to the phone or you could download it directly to the phone.

My memory is a little hazy but I remember the stock browser not letting you download files off the net, but that may not apply anymore. You can download dolphin browser from the market though and it definitely lets you download from the web onto your phone.

Reactions: tekniqs
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones