• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HI everyone

Welcome to the forum. Have you gotten virus protection. I recommend lookout. It will make sure your phone does not get viruses and its free. Enjoy your phone and Happy New Year.

Do i really need an antivirus given that android is linux based?

I use linux on my desktop on a daily basis and i do just fine without an antivirus(not that there is one for linux,not that i've heard of).

Won't a virus or such processes need root permissions to do anything harmful?

Upvote 0
Do i really need an antivirus given that android is linux based?

I use linux on my desktop on a daily basis and i do just fine without an antivirus(not that there is one for linux,not that i've heard of).

Won't a virus or such processes need root permissions to do anything harmful?

Most of the current crop of Android exploits (I think there are no more than about 6 at the moment) are Trojan Horses. While they won't likely damage the phone, they could quite easily become problematic in other ways. Do you need AV protection? Probably not a critical need at the moment but I wouldn't discount the need for it in the future...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones