• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi, new here

bananaslug

Lurker
Feb 11, 2012
Need to make a post here before I can post my question it seems. Sorry. I don't have the time right now to give a long intro! But hi everyone, another newbie has arrived. I got an unrooted Galaxy S. I'm holding back from buying a new phone a few months more and hoping there'll be a nice new flagship model out by then! :D

Hello and welcome aboard. Here is a link to the Samsung Galaxy S - Android Forums where otber users hang-out and talk their phones. If you need any help navigating the site, just give one of us Guides a shout!
icon14.gif

Thanks for joining the community. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcomes!

Umm guess I can expand the intro a bit now. I've had this phone for one and half years and have been planning rooting for a year now, lol. But first it was too difficult and now I'm afraid some of my fave apps stop working on a rooted phone. Plus I'm the butt of the joke when it comes to ****ing up electronics, whether or not I'm tinkering them.

I'm so addicted to Android that I do a lot of the stuff I used to do on the PC on my phone, and curse the small screen. I carry an extra battery in my bag because it will run out from heavy use if I'm without access to a recharger all day, lol. Yet I've not bought a tablet as I've not found one meeting my requirements exactly. Stuff like universal USB ports only comes in the models that don't meet the other requirements. Alas, one day I'll find it.

Maybe this forum will end up helping with both problems? I sure hope so!

Edit: why isn't my avatar showing? I put a cute dude there and it no work, boo.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the nice intro. I'm onto my second Android device and haven't rooted either. It's not for everyone. I always figured I'd root when I was desperate for a change. I've never been unhappy with the stock units so....... Not to say there isn't some bennies to rooting. Just wanted you to understand it's a choice.
I do hope you can better your Android experience and get the most from your time invested here. As for your avatar.... might it be it's too large or have a broken path to the forums? I'm only taking a guess. Have fun.

Upvote 0
Got it working now, yay.

Yeah, can have lots of fun with Android without rooting, so it's not necessary, I agree. But it's there as the tempting next step in customising, when most of the current options have been explored. Though, personally, I've found enough new stuff for non-rooted devices to keep things interesting, so far. And I hear Samsung is going to release a version without bloatware at some point for Galaxy S... need to have a lookie in the GS forums if there is more info on this rumour!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones