• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Holding power button in until reboot?

Suppose the accidental "tip" prefix is more relevant now although id like to know what it actualy does............

Interesting that you'd mention the prefixes. Staff is often changing them, usually finding the "tip" prefix used by members who are seeking a tip, because seeking a tip is a need for the "support" prefix, in most cases. A high percentage of threads marked "tips" have to be changed to "support" for that reason.

In this case, it is a close call between "support" and "general," as the OP's query is sort of ... well, general rather than a need for actual support of an issue with the device.

Once in a blue moon we'll change "support" to "tips" if the OP him or herself comes up with the solution, solves the issue right away, or the thread turns into an ongoing tip thread about that issue. Not very often, though. Plus there is a sticky "tips" area above some device areas now. ;)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Yeah "tip" on support threads does annoy me, but ah well...

In regards to holding the power button, its a reboot. Same as pressing power > restart.

They do call a reboot a "soft reset" and they call a factory reset a "hard reset". I don't really like this phrasing though. In IT a soft reboot for me would be using the software menus (such as start > shutdown on Windows) and a hard reboot would be forcing the machine to shut down with the power button or removing the power source.

Ah well, these phone kids must have their own language eh. Rather than using these "Soft" and "hard" reset terms which actually dont make much sense, I would prefer to say "Reboot your phone" or "Factory reset your phone" as theres no way to misunderstand that.

Upvote 0
so what does a battery removal do bud? And do u mean a battery pull or while the phone is powered off?

Today i was gettin terrible quadrant results (i just use it to check general health of my phone in an easy way) after the hold in power button thing it was flying again... :beer:

EDIT and quadrant usualy gives higher scores when ram is like <100mb free ram

Upvote 0
Thanks mate. When the phone is off. What difference does removing the power make (i thought lynux couldnt do things that dumb phones can do while powered off like trigger an alarm)
Tell me to shut up if i should be googling this lol.
Ur one of my most respected geeks (in a good way) on here so maybe i just love to test lol.
As i said though, just say "shut it" when im wasting your time bro :)

Upvote 0
Any hardware device could be manufactured to "turn on" when an alarm is triggering if it wanted to. It would involve either not shutting down the OS (android in this case) fully (standby mode) or running another OS when in the "shutdown" mode. Its not really a useful feature though. Most people turn off their phone to ensure it cannot do anything.

Imagine you're hiding in a cupboard, from an intruder with a big knife who wants to kill you. You turn your phone off to prevent anything giving you away, then..... Your phone turns on and plays alarm. You're dead. Not good.

Removing power source from a computer or phone has no significance attached to the OS it runs. Its a simple hardware thing. Flash memory, such as memory cards permanently store data. For example, if you save a file to an SD card, take it out of your phone and put it in the computer, the file is still there. RAM is different. If you remove all power from RAM, any data stored on it is wiped.

So if you have some corrupt data in RAM or some other issues, if you remove the battery from a phone or the power chord from a desktop computer, then reconnect it 30 seconds later, You get a clean boot, rather than a reboot where RAM isn't necessarily cleared.

Upvote 0
Any hardware device could be manufactured to "turn on" when an alarm is triggering if it wanted to. It would involve either not shutting down the OS (android in this case) fully (standby mode) or running another OS when in the "shutdown" mode. Its not really a useful feature though. Most people turn off their phone to ensure it cannot do anything.

Imagine you're hiding in a cupboard, from an intruder with a big knife who wants to kill you. You turn your phone off to prevent anything giving you away, then..... Your phone turns on and plays alarm. You're dead. Not good.

Removing power source from a computer or phone has no significance attached to the OS it runs. Its a simple hardware thing. Flash memory, such as memory cards permanently store data. For example, if you save a file to an SD card, take it out of your phone and put it in the computer, the file is still there. RAM is different. If you remove all power from RAM, any data stored on it is wiped.

So if you have some corrupt data in RAM or some other issues, if you remove the battery from a phone or the power chord from a desktop computer, then reconnect it 30 seconds later, You get a clean boot, rather than a reboot where RAM isn't necessarily cleared.

Ok im having nightmares now thanks "mate" lol :p
I suppose, it does remember time, is there a lil rechargeable battery or what?
P.s was it you i read suggesting pushing power button without battery or charger in to clean something out man?
Like 5yrs ago a HP laptop tech guy on the phone suggested that to my gf at the time n i hung up lol......

Upvote 0
Yes I remember the days when a Hot swap was swapping a drive out and not trading victoria's secret collectors cards...

And you didn't have to power down the PC!

Funky.

That uses up and residual electrical charge held in any circuitry so that the phone is completely 'clean' of all power.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I used to have a Blackberry Curve and I remember that on the Crackberry forums, a Battery Pull was the universal recommended solution to nearly every problem with the phone lol.

Quite a few of the senior members used to swear by a daily Battery Pull to sort out things like memory leak etc. But I always thought it was a design flaw if you had to resort to such an inelegant solution.

Upvote 0
I used to have a Blackberry Curve and I remember that on the Crackberry forums, a Battery Pull was the universal recommended solution to nearly every problem with the phone lol.

Quite a few of the senior members used to swear by a daily Battery Pull to sort out things like memory leak etc. But I always thought it was a design flaw if you had to resort to such an inelegant solution.

Yes I used to have a bold 9000. That ws always my first suggestion to anything. There was an app called "Quick pull" which simulated the same thing, but obviously not quite as good.

As a blackberry administrator at work, I always recommend that first too.

Its a bit annoying that you don't know somethings not working until you do a battery pull and things start working.

It is a sign of poor software, the need to do a battery pull. However, I still do one regularly (once a week or so). ...Even on my laptop.

Upvote 0

My gf on a newish bb curve has to battery pull on average every 2nd day.
I dont remember doin one on my s3 but il admit i did a few on my heavily overclocked Zte (like over 55

Upvote 0
Lol the Zte Blade (orange sanfrancisco) was a crazy phone mate :)
Could be carrier unlocked, rooted n rom'd in like 10mins out the box and performing like a phone 3times its price in 10-20mins without a computer.
Stupidest move Orange (UK carrier) ever did lol.
Legend has it, ZTE leaked the carrier unlock algorhythm :)
I still have one but the screen is like 3.5" n looks strange :)

Upvote 0
Aha! How to reset Samsung Galaxy S3

Suppose the accidental "tip" prefix is more relevant now although id like to know what it actualy does............

But he shows this pic:

samsung-galaxy-s3-soft-reset.png

Then he says this......

This is really very easy. You just have to press and hold the Power button for 10 to 20 seconds. The screen will then turn off and then you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones