• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Home button not lighting backlight when hit at times

bigtex19

Android Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2010
Northeast Texas
im running liberty 1.5 and at times when i hit the home button it takes a bit for the screen to light up and other times it wont do it at all and i have to pull the battery. on top of that some times it wont light up and it will just reboot on its own. i can see the screen if i hold it just right but its really faint. so it just seems like its not operating the backlight at times and locking up when it does it. thoughts solutions?

I have no solution but installed Liberty 1.5 for the first time this weekend, and so far I've had inferior battery life to GummyJAR, and the problem described in this post happened yesterday so you're definitely not the only one.

May be going back to GummyJAR. I liked the idea of the toolbox but my battery is ~20% lower at the end of the day with Liberty, and I effing hate having to do battery pulls when I'm trying to use my phone.

Upvote 0
OP, have you tried going through the Liberty toolbox and turning the lights off and then back on again? Also, did you wipe data and clear cache before installing?

This isn't the backlight for the buttons that Liberty provides the option of turning on or off.

It's the backlight for the screen - so if you are in bright light, you can tilt the screen and look close, and see the display is on, but the backlight isn't on so you can't actually see it very well.

I'm not the OP, but I wiped data and cache before installing.

Upvote 0
not before i installed but i did do it and then re install it. had to do that because i didnt wipe data and cache before i installed so i was stuck in a boot loop. had to make due with what i could. as for the battery life mine is way better than what it was on stock. i love the tool box and the ease of custimization on liberty. this stupid backlight thing is the only real complaint that i have about it

Upvote 0
P.S. this morning was the fourth time its happened (the backlight failing to come on) in as many days. I was so busy yesterday that I used my phone almost not at all, yet it was still <50% when I plugged it in, vs. previously with GummyJAR or ApeX where it'd be 70% or higher if my usage was very light.

Restoring my GummyJAR backup tonight when I get home. Too bad, I liked the toolbox.

Upvote 0
Nope. Stock clock. Plus, I have a pretty stable set of apps now and rarely make many changes - I've been running this exact same set of apps on GummyJAR for a couple weeks.

Wiped everything during my installation.

Honestly, I'd be more willing to troubleshoot or wipe/reinstall but I already thought I was being dumb by switching. GummyJAR was fast, smooth and stable and the only thing that I was switching for was theming through the toolbox. Except I don't really care much about theming and was perfectly happy with the GB color scheme. Since my net gain out of switching is virtually nothing, I'm just switching back. I liked GJ.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones