• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Home Wifi Dislikes My Droid

As far back as I can remember my phone has been reliable and consistent with network connection wherever I go, until I come home and connect to wifi. It will remember my network, connect with no problem and allow me to conduct business for about ten minutes, and then speed seems to drop to 0.

What's odd is the wifi symbol will remain blue, I will receive texts/notifications, but certain apps will stop loading and trying to load any new webpages is all but impossible. Turning wifi off and back on will solve the problem for about ten minutes before it starts this pattern again.

I have a feeling my router is the problem here because I don't seem to have these issues when using other sources of wifi (parents' place, public wifi, etc.)

Anyone else experience this, or is there anything I can change in my router settings to fix this problem?

Here is what I am working with for both phone and router for reference:

Phone

- Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX

- Android Version 4.1.2

- System Version 98.72.165.XT912.Verizon.en.US

Router

- Linksys EA3500

- Firmware Version 1.1.39.145204

- WPA2 Personal

- Wifi Protected Setup Disabled

- Wireless-N Only

- Channel 6

- IPv4 Firewall Disabled

If more information is needed I'll be glad to provide it. I just really want to figure this out so I can stop resetting things whenever I come home. Thanks!

Only thing i can think of is if the router is only puting out a 5Ghz signal? Which Razr doesnt support

Right, and we do have a separate 5gHz network from this dual-band router, which my phone doesn't list so I figured it was 2.4gHz only.

But my computer and other devices can use the 2.4 network consistently so it couldn't be the 5gHz connection, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones