• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honeycomb 3.x app compatibility

Hi Everyone,

Please remember to abide to the Site Rules/Guideline. If you need a refresher, you can find the link in my signature. If you have an issue with a post, please
report.gif
button instead of commenting on it and making the situation worst. A moderator will respond and deal with the thread accordingly. You are allowed to voice their opinions but you are NOT allowed to attack/insult your fellow forum members. Rude and bickering posts have been deleted.

Regards,
Roze
Your friendly neighbourhood moderator

Upvote 0
Hmm, I see 66 "featured tablet" apps, but I don't think that is all of them, is it? I thought those were the apps where the dev paid extra to be "featured?" Searching on "Xoom" produced 426 results, but those aren't all JUST for HC of course.
Correct. I'd guess at thousands of apps that look just fine (or better) on the tablet.

Hundreds at least have the built in tablet controls (the menu button at the top right instead of soft coded into the bottom bar).

66 have paid money to be in the "featured" section. :D

Upvote 0
Your game is very cute and looks nice on my Xoom, now give me a hint for the 5th level. I'm too dumb to get it, lol.

Walk up and all the way round the top first, and then finally down the platform. It will reveal more of the board!

Thanks for all the support guys!

BTW a very small number of people are having a weird issue where it freezes after each level. If this happens to you PLEASE PLEASE pm me, or take a logcat and send me the log. I'm desperately trying to fix this issue but its so random its really hard to track down. It happens on both the paid and lite versions but for only a few people

Upvote 0
At the market I typed in Xoom and got 482 apps and randomly selected 20 that either said "Works for Xoom" or ones that I tried that worked wonderful. Don't get caught up in 'featured apps'. They're just a paid service for people that want to come up first. (Stand corrected in why apps are featured) But the point still remains, lots and lots of apps work on the Xoom.

Upvote 0
FYI featured apps on Android Market are not paid promotions. You can't buy your way into the featured list.

Google select some apps to promote there and contact you to ask you if you agree to be featured. In order to be featured your app must abide by some guidelines and its UI be consistent with with what they expect. It has to handle suspend and resume properly for example. (eg if you get a phone call the game should pause and allow you to resume when you bring it back to focus. It should also respect events from the OS that tell it to quit)

Generally a featured app will be of good quality and not cause you many issues or they wouldn't feature it. That said it doesn't mean every user will like every type of game featured! Obviously their featured list is a little on the safe side as it has to appeal to as many users as possible and not have too much violence for example.

Upvote 0
FYI featured apps on Android Market are not paid promotions. You can't buy your way into the featured list.

Google select some apps to promote there and contact you to ask you if you agree to be featured. In order to be featured your app must abide by some guidelines and its UI be consistent with with what they expect. It has to handle suspend and resume properly for example. (eg if you get a phone call the game should pause and allow you to resume when you bring it back to focus. It should also respect events from the OS that tell it to quit)

Generally a featured app will be of good quality and not cause you many issues or they wouldn't feature it. That said it doesn't mean every user will like every type of game featured! Obviously their featured list is a little on the safe side as it has to appeal to as many users as possible and not have too much violence for example.

Great to know, I always thought it was based on rating the app has and for how long has it had that rating for.

Upvote 0
Just got my hands on the Samsung galaxy 10.1 and am sooo disappointed to see that very little has changed since the last posts. First of all the market itself doesnt give you compatibility info (I had to use the web version to find out) because all the market does is tell me it can't find the requested app.
More importantly several basic apps seem to be incompatible almost a year after this OS' release, and I'm not sure we can blame vz for the deficiencies across the board. By now I would expect that at a minimum all google apps would be compatible by now (gvoice in particular)
For other 3rd party apps I'll just say its unfortunate that apps I've come to rely on aren't available on these android tablets....
Hopefully this post will be obsolete soon (wink wink google, please don't make me get an I pad)

Upvote 0
I really think the release of more Honeycomb devices will bump up the number of apps that become available. Samsung and HTC ate coming soon b

Yeah you are right, There are very few apps for the honecomb tablets in the android market. Also all of them are not compatible with all tablets. Like google earth not working on my honecomb samsung 10.1 tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones