• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hoping This Is KitKat (Sprint)

That security version thing make me even more certain that I'm waiting a few months after release before I consider installing it. I don't need "device can't be rooted" just to pick up a few hundred k more RAM.

FYI I went ahead and took the plunge a few nights ago and did the 4.4.2 update and I can report all is well and I still have root. The only weird thing I notices is that I was running TWRP 2.6.3.7 before since it came out but it wouldn't boot into recovery with that version after the update so I had to roll back to an earlier version I found in one of the XDA threads. I don't remember the exact version but if anyone needs it I will boot recovery and see what version it was.

There was no rerooting process really. I just installed twrp and flash SU and that was that.

Boot is faster in 4.4.2 and everything just seems to work a little better. No real improvements to report though.

edit. It's 2.6.3.2. I went in to flash the 4 in 1 menu a few minutes ago.

Upvote 0
FYI - The battery drain is apparently connected to the camera in combination with the Qualcomm processor, according to Chris Chavez in the "wins and fails" on the Phandroid podcast

He talks about it at the 54:04 mark
Mobile Roar Podcast 35 - YouTube

So, it's a Google thing that will hopefully get through all the carriers quickly and fix battery drain. I haven't really used my camera since the update and my initial experience was fine with the update. Just wanted to post up the info, for those that weren't aware (I wasn't, so was actually relieved to hear that in the podcast).

In the meantime, I'll just be charging my phone more often than normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones