• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I filter out unwanted "Notifications"?

I've only been using my Android Samsung GS2 for 1 week, so I'm new at this. I'm already starting to get spam "Notifications" for unwanted things, dating services (and worse), etc. I'm not sure where these notifications are coming from, where they are stored on my phone, which app is handling them, or how to get rid of them without accidentally tapping on something that will take me to some site I don't want. If there's a way to screen or prevent them from coming onto my phone in the first place, I'd love to know how to do it.

I apologize if my question is entry level, but although I've got a fair amount of this phone figured out, there are still plenty of things I don't know yet. Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks.

Could be a virus.. get avg mobilization or avast.. I use both... and if your still getting them determine what apps are doing it and get rid of them. Some apps have the feature to disable notifications so keep that in mind. There are several ways to deal with most problems.. unless you happen to brick your phone but thats no concern as your not rooting if you only just got it lol sorry starting to ramble I'll shut up now haha

Upvote 0
Run Addons Detector or Airpush Detector to find the app placing sys add. Remove the bad app.

This is the correct solution, but don't forget when you find the offending app to rate it 1 star and state that it spams your notifications so other users know not to download. Then flag the app as inappropriate (all the way at the bottom of the app page in Google Play)

Upvote 0
airblocker from the market its free.

That requires root (not a problem for me, but not everyone wants to root) and then you still keep the app and don't 1 star report it and mark as inappropriate.

We NEED to send developers the message that airpush is SPAM and NOT ok at all under any conditions! We should need an app that requires root to block spam from the notification bar.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Thanks to all for the great suggestions and discussion. I downloaded and ran Addons Detector, but although I did find that Ringdroid (an otherwise great app) had Airpush associated with it, I didn't find the source of the (roughly remembered) "Hot women wanting dates" type of notification that sparked all this.

Question: Is the upgrade to the paid version of Addons Detector worth it?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all for the great suggestions and discussion. I downloaded and ran Addons Detector, but although I did find that Ringdroid (an otherwise great app) had Airpush associated with it, I didn't find the source of the (roughly remembered) "Hot women wanting dates" type of notification that sparked all this.

Question: Is the upgrade to the paid version of Addons Detector worth it?

Thanks again.
You could try this: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=4556236

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones