How can I save an MP3 from a text message

Last Updated:

1. raptorjrf

raptorjrf Member This Topic's Starter

I want to add some custom ringtones. Ringdroid and Ring Extender both do a nice job, but you need to have the song in order to make a ringtone. I have downloaded ringtones that came as MP3 attachments to a text message.

But, I cannot figure out how to save those MP3's. There's no media icon I can click and hold. If I try menu while it's playing - it just backs me out of it, and if I try menu before playing it I just get the usual SMS reply options.

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Raptor, try the "Save MMS" app from the marketplace.

3. raptorjrf

raptorjrf Member This Topic's Starter

Fabolous, Thanks. That did it !

4. Beeboo

Beeboo New Member

I was trying to figure out the same thing! I downloaded the Save MMS app and all it found was a picture that was attached to a text, not an mp3 that was sent. Any other suggestions? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

5. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I created a folder on my sd card called "ringtones". I mounted the usb and went online to Mabilo and saved a couple of music ringtones. I had to go to my Downloads folder on my computer and copy the two mp3 files to my ringtones folder on the sd card. Those two music ringtones now show in my list of ringtones that I can choose on my phone. I don't know if this is harder or easier but it is a workaround that doesn't require any apps.

6. Teibidh

Teibidh Well-Known Member

You can make your own ringtones easily enough, too. Use a program like Audacity (Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder) to edit a snippet of a song you like then copy to your SD card somewhere, can set it as a ringtone from virtually anywhere you can find the tune.

7. spookym

spookym New Member

To save audio attachment in a text message: Long hold area outside (to the left or the right of) the play button in message. A menu should pop up with "save attachment" option.