• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I save email attachments

I tried to save a PDF attachment so I could reattach and mail it from my phone. I was able to save it but what is lame is when Im in my gmail account on the phone and I click attach..it only gives me the photo gallery option to attach. Not files.
Is there a fix for this? OTher than logging in on the web browser? I would think since this is a google OS and gmail is google they would have the integration and features of their own mail system top notch....in reality its pretty poor and not much difference from using a gmail app on a blackberry.

Upvote 0
There are several answers out there if you take time to find them. I found some great info at documents to go's web page.

Documents To Go for Android-powered Smartphones: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

12. Why can't I download and open my e-mail attachments?
Documents To Go supports e-mail attachments for many e-mail programs such as Gmail, RoadSync and K9. Unfortunately, if you are asking this question, you are probably using the built-in "Email" program to access your POP and IMAP accounts. The "Email" application does not currently let you download attachments other than pictures, which is completely out of our hands. We would expect that a future update will address this issue. In the meanwhile, you may want to forward your messages containing attachments to your Gmail account and download them from there. You can then view and edit them in Documents To Go.

Sounds like if you install docs to go and use gmail or one of the other clients it will allow you to download attachments.

Android os is a piece of clay. make it in to what you want. If you dont like it or cant do it its cause you havent tried.
:D

Upvote 0
just had to throw this in from quick office too:

For Android devices: How do I save email attachments from Gmail in Quickoffice?

When you open your email in Gmail, the attachments should be listed. If you press Preview, then the attachment will be fetched and opened in Quickoffice. Once your attachment is open, you can select Menu > Save to save the file to your memory card.

Upvote 0
This is not a fully functioning device if I can't open an attachement that is a .doc or if I can't save and attach a .pdf to an email.

So, you're saying that opening a proprietary document format that is not made for your OS in the first place defines the completeness of a device?

Bah. If the OS were JAVA based we'd have some sort of a watered down version of Open Office and all would be well. But, since Android is NOT JAVA,....

Upvote 0
So, you're saying that opening a proprietary document format that is not made for your OS in the first place defines the completeness of a device?

Bah. If the OS were JAVA based we'd have some sort of a watered down version of Open Office and all would be well. But, since Android is NOT JAVA,....

Is there a reason that i cant run java apps?
(See at the bottom.)

Java Things: Java Applications (J2ME) on Android

There are plenty of free doc handling apps. Also some really good file explorers. (I like EStrongs)

Im sorry I sound like an SA, but seriously I just hit google on my droid and found answers in like 5 seconds. Its voice activated. TRY IT.

Upvote 0
If you're just trying to email an arbitrary file such as Foo.pdf to your phone, then rename the file to Foo.pdf.jpg before attaching and sending the email. The gmail app will let you download it, and it becomes automatically renamed to downloadfile.jpeg, downloadfile-1.jpeg, etc. in the /sdcard/download folder. Just rename it back to Foo.pdf with AndroZip. I tried this with an .mp3 ringtone on Droid/2.0.1, which worked fine.

But yeah, this is ugly and isn't helpful if you have no control over the naming of the attachments sent to you.

Reactions: peadar
Upvote 0
I found a pretty good attachment downloader (free and paid versions). It will download any kind of attachment to your SD card as long as there is a Preview or Open button available in the Gmail or Email app.

I don't understand why the default email apps do not let you download any kind of file, but at least there's another app out there that can help with it.

Search for "Blackmoon AttachSave" or visit the author's website and use the QR link.

Upvote 0
I am trying to save an attachment in Quickoffice. When I have the document open after pressing Preview, the directions are to go to the Menu and choose Save, but where is the Menu? When I press what I think is the Menu (lines on bottom of my Droid), the choices I have are Help, Properties, About, and Search. I would love some help with this. Thank you.
Karen Brown

Upvote 0
Hello All,

I've read all of these posts and I am astounded at this simple functionality that has been missing for months. I find it unacceptable to have to go to the web based email when the phone is equipped with the client.

This is such a rudimentary capability to save an attachment and with postings for that past 6-7 months and no answer this is quite unbelievable.

I've found now 2 considerable shortfalls in this phone, first the ability to download a simple attachment, and second, you can't even send a decent size attachment. I had a Samsung smart phone and I could download and send an attachment 10-13MB in size.

I love this phone but I don't like losing capability when I've gone to such a high end phone. I was really expecting file sizes to be a non-issue with this phone.

Are there any developers reading this forum? This stuff has got to be fixed.

Eric
Kirk Productions

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones