• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Can I Turn off Those Condescening n00bz notifications in Android Lollipop?

sardonicus87

Dec 16, 2014
I realise my thread title probably is a little confusing.

What I am talking about are those "yeah, I get it, I am not stupid" notifications, like this one that pops up every time I turn on my phone reminding me to make sure my battery cover is secure...

EzjOd8p.png

Or this one whenever I uplug my device:

Ek8yKes.png

There also is an annoying one that pops up when my phone becomes fully charged. These are rather annoying already and I have only been dealing with them for the last 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, side-note, does this site just not support image links for images hosted on Imgur?
I'm not sure about getting rid of the notifications, but to answer your question about pictures, there is a minimum number of posts you are required before being able to post pictures (i think it's 25)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about getting rid of the notifications, but to answer your question about pictures, there is a minimum number of posts you are required before being able to post pictures (i think it's 25)
Yeah, but they need to be directly linked to and have a valid image extension.

(I've sorted them in the first post for you).
Ah thanks.

Side note, the notifications above finally gave me the option to "never show again".

However, there is one VERY annoying one that's really going to irritate me at night.

Whenever the phone becomes ffully charged, it vibrates and a notification pops up and I cann't use the phone at all until I deal with it.

When driving, as I do almost all day for my job, I keep my phone plugged in while using Google Maps/Navigation. It's going to really annoy me and be actually dangerous for mme to have to deal with that while driving so that I can see where I am going.

Also, I plug it in overnight to ensure it is fully charged in the morning before I get started on work (I drive a lot and over great distances, which quickly drains my battery, especially in the more rural areas, trying to find/maintain a signal, and I can't just turn my phone off. Even having it plugged in actually still it drains when I am driving about.

So, at night, when that crap goes off when it fully charges, that's going to irritate both me and my girlfriend, and it's not like I can leave it in a different room (the phone is also my alarm clock).

I tried to do a search about that one specifically and there was only one thread, but it was only for rooted phones and mine is not (and I can't root it because iI have no access to a computer).

Upvote 0
I tried to do a search about that one specifically and there was only one thread, but it was only for rooted phones and mine is not (and I can't root it because iI have no access to a computer).

Yeah, everything I can find states you need to be rooted, sorry :(

I'll move this to the SGS5 forum though, see if the guys there have any ideas.

Upvote 0
Install Co-Pilot GPS, install all of the USA maps to the extSDcard.

Now, you can turn off DATA and WiFi as you drive around and not be running down the battery so much.

MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
Install Co-Pilot GPS, install all of the USA maps to the extSDcard.

Now, you can turn off DATA and WiFi as you drive around and not be running down the battery so much.

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped

I can't do that because I need to receive calls and texts. I already download offline maps for the next day while I am on WIFI.

Either way, still doesn't solve the problem of thr extremely irritating "Fully Charged" notification that also interrupts whatever I am doing on my phone no matter what options I choose for notifications.

But apparently, as best I can tell, this can NOT be turned off and it has pissed off a lot of people.

Upvote 0
I can't do that because I need to receive calls and texts. I already download offline maps for the next day while I am on WIFI.

Either way, still doesn't solve the problem of the extremely irritating "Fully Charged" notification that also interrupts whatever I am doing on my phone no matter what options I choose for notifications.

But apparently, as best I can tell, this can NOT be turned off and it has pissed off a lot of people.
I turned it off on my wife's S5, she never hears any noises when it starts or stops charging.

I use MacroDroid to disable System Sounds and Notifications during the charging period.
MacroDroid re-enables everything once it is off the charger.

for you and your use, I will keep thinking of how to do it.

At one time, I had * Battery Doctor (Battery Saver) - Android Apps on Google Play
installed and in that app, I turned OFF notifications when charged.

see if it will work for you?

Upvote 0
Doesn't turn off that particular notification. I don't mind other notifications. Hell, I don't even mind a "fully charged" notification in the notifications list, the problem is the pop up that comes over the top of everything, interrupts everything and prevents me from doing anything until I dismiss it or unplug my phone.

Also the fact that it now vibrates andights up (whereas before, it didn't do that, it just lit up and only showed the notification in the list but immediately went out). Now it vibrates and puts that other notification on top of everything and forcefully interrupting.

Upvote 0
Uh, you have the VZW buggy software.
there are a LOT of complaints about it in the last 8 hours.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/
I use the same avatar there and username, you will see me bitching about it royally.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone today at 3:00 to 3:40 PM CST-USA discussing 5.0 with a Samsung Tech Rep...
I wanted them to block the upgrade permanently on my S5 phones. Their answer? impossible, the firmware allows you to say "NO" 3 times only, and then it automatically reboots and installs it anyway.

I am purposefully not allowing 5.0 to install for at least a few weeks.
Not until I see word from VZW that admits it is a problem and they issue a fix for the buggy 5.0

Upvote 0
Uh, you have the VZW buggy software.
there are a LOT of complaints about it in the last 8 hours.

I use the same avatar there and username, you will see me bitching about it royally.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone today at 3:00 to 3:40 PM CST-USA discussing 5.0 with a Samsung Tech Rep...
I wanted them to block the upgrade permanently on my S5 phones. Their answer? impossible, the firmware allows you to say "NO" 3 times only, and then it automatically reboots and installs it anyway.

I am purposefully not allowing 5.0 to install for at least a few weeks.
Not until I see word from VZW that admits it is a problem and they issue a fix for the buggy 5.0

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped

Yeah, there's a lot more I am discovering aside from this.

See, 5.0 had bugs, that's why Google released 5.1 (5.01?). Why, after so long, did they simply releae the buggy 5.0 rather than the 5.1?

Idiots...

Like other things I have noticed:
Scrolling is no longer smooth in most apps. Also, before, I could swipe my finger and it would continue to scroll—the "harder" I swiped, the further it would go. Now? It only scrolls as much as my finger moves, no more speed scrolling.

I also hate this childish looking all white menus and stuff.

Also, my battery is dying twice as fast. Performance in general has taken a slight hit. Slower loading apps too, which I thought 5 was supposed to make them faster.

And I HATE the new recent apps changes. I read a thing two others posted somewhere that pretty much airs all my grievances...

Lee Kar-wai 2 months ago Link
I've been using Android Lollipop for a week, I can summarize my experience with: I miss KitKat!
The new interface is hideous, the first thing that comes to my mind is that this new update is a bad copy between iOS and the ugly TouchWiz interface, so damn colorful and white and ugly animations (either they're not good implemented or they got bugs for correct). Doesn't Google think of all of his Android users with amoled displays? Not really.
The battery drains so FAST! My Nexus 5 went from 98% to 50% in 4h during the night without using my device (That's not the way KitKat behaved with my battery; despite the fact that the battery of my N5 has never lasted so long after all).
I hate the new recent apps, sorry "overview", is ugly as... Now we have to take more time in just swiping away the apps 'cuz this new implementation only shows us two or almost three recent apps and the rest are behind, not useful.
What about the tabs of Chrome? No Google, I don't wanna have more than 50 tabs as recent apps in the "overview"!
And the battery saver mode is a joke, my phone runs slowly in that mode, and those orange bars? Couldn't have been easier with a simple icon in the notification bar? No, let's give our users this ugly orange bars to let them know that their cellphones are in battery saver mode.
The dialer and Google new apps are so colored and horrible, not simply, elegant and minimalist, Google!
Well, I'm downgrading to KitKat after all. Peace!

-------------------------------

FIRST LAST 2 months ago Link
I agree with most of what you were trying to say
All the endless talk of how intuitive it is, How Material design and the Animations are the best thing since sliced bread. And then i get the OTA and..... Total Childish crap. Intuitive? For whom?

On Screen Buttons = A sideways triangle, a Circle and a hollow Square. What is intuitive about them? What was Wrong with the VERY INTUITIVE Back Arrow, Home icon and the Stacked Cards?

The Lock screen with the silly Cards, especially with Music. Who thought this design was better and who thought it was intuitive? You have to slide a card or Double tap it, How is that better? How about unlocking the unit? Give it to an iOS user and watch the frustration, then the endless Laughing at how stupid it is. Many Android users are equally frustrated. They slide both ways and if lucky get it to unlock by accident! Maybe a simple "Slide ^ to unlock" Would be useful.

Here's a novel idea, How about an instruction manual instead of Forums where people just guess and vent.

The Animations that the kids like so much? These are always the first thing i disable. But in Lollipop they are there for one reason. To hide the every present Android Lag and stuttering. Of course to disable these children features you have to figure out how to get in Developers mode - Which is Very intuitive !!!

Project Volta - Really Google? An antiquated battery saver mode that disables just about everything and reminds you with bright orange screens = Genius!

Here's a hint Google if you want to save battery Get rid of the Endless Bright White Backgrounds and Light grey text.
What's really mind boggling is, that in all these years nobody can figure out what it is about Android that makes it such a battery pig? Especially in standby! They just come up with more gimmicks that usually make things worse.

Adaptive Brightness? - What a Pile of Crap this implementation is. It is either too dark or too bright. Just Fix Auto Brightness. How hard could it be?

The Pull down Quick Notifications = LOL, Since you got rid of the "swipe up" for Google Now from the lock screen, just put it there. While you are at it get rid of it from the home screen too! and replace it with quick settings. Since Google now is just a right slide away, who needs it at the bottom too? The double pull down feels like a Amateur Hour Work around. (Yes, I know you can do a two finger slide, but to me it is cumbersome and impossible with one hand, which is how i hold my phone.)After the double swipe, you then have to tap the Tiny Battery or Settings button to get to them. How about just Add the settings button as one of the toggles, Get rid of the ones that are pointless. (At least they got rid of the horrendous Google+ / Your name icon - Why it was there is anybody's guess) When you get to battery settings, whats missing = Time on Battery! instead they give you a "Pulled out of their Ass" Guesstimate as to how long your battery might last. When you click the tiny settings icon you are Greeted By the Great Bight White Wall!. Black Backgrounds save battery and are easier to read! The Genius who designed it also redesigned the location icon. When you click it it disables all Location services, Again, Genius! Clicking it again turns Everything on! Even if you were in Battery Save Mode Before, it defaults to High Accuracy mode - (Battery Drain) you then have to dig in the Great white Settings wall to go back to Battery Saver Mode!

The whole Silent / Mute notifications fiasco - Who thinks of these things? Who thinks what they came up with is better than what they had? The long press the power button for Airplane mode and Silent, vibrate, or Sound was ingenious and worked flawlessly. For the one in one thousand that needed more control - i'm sure There are apps for that. Sometimes it is good to rest on your laurels and NOT change just for the sake of change.

There are many other issues but these alone have convinced me NOT to upgrade my moto x when and if its available.
I can't stress it enough, Somebody needs to be fired over these backward Changes.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your problems, believe me I do.
FWIW right now, for me, the internet has vanished, never to be seen again until VZW issues a fix for this mess.

I have permanently turned off WiFi and Data on both of our phones until this settles down.
I refuse to install LolliFLOP
Data and WiFi have been permanently turned OFF until VZW fixes this mess.

Upvote 0
RE rooting the s5. I've heard of people having success with the app Towelroot (no pc required)
In security settings on the phone, turn on "Unknown sources" then on the phone's browser search for Towelroot apk (use at your own risk)

That only worked on S5 before the kernal update that was pushed last August (September?), which was before I got this phone. Otherwise, what you had to do was flash the older Kitkat kernal using Odin, use Towel Root, then flash back to the current version.

The guy that made Towel quit working on it before then because he got a job working for Google, and apparently nobody else bothered to try to find another exploit for that latest version of Android.

So as it stands now (and the way it has for the last ≈5-6 months), is you HAVE to have a computer; towel will NOT work unless you flash the old version of Kitkat.

EDIT:
Towel only works if you had Kitkat and only if the kernal build date was before 3 June, 2014.

Upvote 0
Please, please, lads and ladies... don't blame Samsung for Verizon's own version firmware flaws and faults. It has nothing to do with Samsung. See, #1.6 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours???

Samsung do not even issue this Verizon firmware!

In the last 2 months there have been over, currently, 100 different stock Samsung Lollipop firmware releases on 4 different models of Galaxy S5 worldwide, see here, that have gone out with barely a murmur on these forums, see, here.

With, to-date, 96 firmware releases, (about 25% of the total firmwares), covering 3 different models and on both unbranded and lightly branded firmwares, there has, touch wood, been no major problems with the update to Android 5.0, Lollipop. In fact, this forum has, thus far, been very quiet on the Lollipop update in respect of problems. :)

This would indicate that the Samsung TouchWiz Lollipop release in its native form has so far been a success.

Then, as I predicted, along comes a NON Samsung issued firmware that has been so heavily modified and loaded with apps by its carrier that it requires not 1 but 2 updates to get it all on and is not even released by Samsung but by that carrier and all hell breaks loose

However, where I do anticipate that there may well be problems, is with the medium and heavy carrier branded variants mentioned in #1.5 and #1.6 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours??? Typically, some carriers insist on modifying the stock Samsung TouchWiz firmware and adding or replacing stock apps which, in previous firmware updates, has caused the majority of issues. We shall see! ;)

I repeat... please do not blame Android Lollipop or Samsung as it is your carrier that has heavily modified the stock Samsung TouchWiz firmware and loaded on all the extra apps as well as locking your bootloaders... no one else! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Please, please, lads and ladies... don't blame Samsung for Verizon's own version firmware flaws and faults. It has nothing to do with Samsung. See, #1.6 of 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours???

Samsung do not even issue this Verizon firmware!

In the last 2 months there have been over, currently, 100 different stock Samsung Lollipop firmware releases on 4 different models of Galaxy S5 worldwide, see here, that have gone out with barely a murmur on these forums, see, here.

Then, as I predicted, along comes a NON Samsung issued firmware that has been so heavily modified and loaded with apps by its carrier that it requires not 1 but 2 updates to get it all on and is not even released by Samsung but by that carrier and all hell breaks loose

I repeat... please do not blame Android Lollipop or Samsung as it is your carrier that has heavily modified the stock Samsung TouchWiz firmware and loaded on all the extra apps as well as locking your bootloaders... no one else! :rolleyes:

Except most of the complaints I listed have to do with the base Lollipop and not the Verizon or Samsung changes to it...

It's the base UI that is ugly, it is the changes to the base notification system that are annoying, it is the changes to the base recent apps that are annoying...

Also, nobody mentioned bootloaders.

Apologist sees someone hating on Lollipop and assumes they don't know what changes are brought by Lollipop and what ones are brought by X-carrier and X brand of phone, issues generic apologist crap. Sorry, base Lollipop iis NOT perfect and many people in many places with all different kinds of carriers and phone models have issued several complaints aabout it.

Upvote 0
sigh!
I am a Verizon user, and I have been following their release of 5.0 that started at noon yesterday 2/2/2015

All hell broke loose in less than 2.5 hours with crap breaking left and right. Complaints of it taking 2 downloads to get it all, and then a 3rd download to fix Google Services again. there are two posts of the S5 being totally bricked with a broken OTA 5.0 update. how it occurred is anyone's guess... maybe it lost the connection, or the battery was too low to start with?

I have a full list of stuff which I have compiled into a single Word Document.... I will spare you reprinting all of that.

From my corner of my office, I am going to wait until VZW releases a fix for their mess before I allow 5.0 to grace the screen of my S5s, yes I have two of them. I have locked out the internet on both , and it will stay that way until the water smooths over and the Ark has saved all the animals.

I refuse to install LolliFLOP
Data and WiFi have been permanently turned OFF until VZW fixes this mess.

Upvote 0
Except most of the complaints I listed have to do with the base Lollipop and not the Verizon or Samsung changes to it...

Steady on sardonicus87 old boy. ;)

My post was not addressed to anyone in particular, as you can see from my opening. Rather, it was to put things into perspective regarding the Verizon release which is not typical of the other 300 S5 Samsung releases worldwide.

It's the base UI that is ugly, it is the changes to the base notification system that are annoying, it is the changes to the base recent apps that are annoying...

Samsung have tried to fall in line with the Google, "Material", guidelines. Their Lollipop UI can be best described as... Marmite... either you love it... or hate it!

As for the Fully Charged Notification sound and vibration you are receiving, this is not present on the stock Samsung TouchWiz firmware that I am using, (unbranded, UK, OA3 release), when my International model, SM-G900F, is connected to the original Samsung Charger that came with my phone. When fully charged the screen does not turn on and there is no sound or vibration. If I turn the screen on, there is just a swipe away notification, see screenshot. However, I do believe that using 3rd party chargers, "may", produce a sound and vibration to help prevent against over charging which has caused a number of fires and deaths in the past on various makes of phones.

Also, nobody mentioned bootloaders.

Locked bootloaders are just one of the many basic Android system alterations that are made by Verizon, along with, it would appear, the ability to untick automatic firmware updates in Settings > About device > Software updates > Auto update. Check for update automatically.

Apologist sees someone hating on Lollipop and assumes they don't know what changes are brought by Lollipop and what ones are brought by X-carrier and X brand of phone, issues generic apologist crap. Sorry, base Lollipop iis NOT perfect and many people in many places with all different kinds of carriers and phone models have issued several complaints aabout it.

I certainly do not know every change made by Verizon to Samsung's original TouchWiz firmware, neither I suspect, do Samsung. I agree that this first iteration of Lollipop is not absolutely perfect but there again, what major software launch ever is? However, Samsung have an excellent reputation for regularly releasing so-called, "bugfix", updates and have already begun so. Whether these updates are passed on by Verizon to their customers, is down to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones