• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do I flash recovery?

thedamon

Mar 6, 2011
I have an older Ally that I rooted using SOC method (couldn't get [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!) to work). Then I got Rom Manager from the Market.

I read http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/146564-ally-recovery-img-here-custom-roms.html through a few times. Rom manager doesn't let me "flash alternate recovery."

I guess I need to install a recovery. Amon Ra is the one I was looking at. Despite reading for hours (even days), I am no smarter than a fifth grader. I don't understand how to get the .zip onto my sdcard, then flash the recovery. I don't understand adb shell, and I don't know how to delete user data. Do I partition the sd card? *does derp face*

My eventual goal is installing Velocity 1.0 and speeding things up a bit. Hopefully with the good people here, I can do that without bricking my Ally.

I have an older Ally that I rooted using SOC method (couldn't get [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!) to work). Then I got Rom Manager from the Market.

I read http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/146564-ally-recovery-img-here-custom-roms.html through a few times. Rom manager doesn't let me "flash alternate recovery."

I guess I need to install a recovery. Amon Ra is the one I was looking at. Despite reading for hours (even days), I am no smarter than a fifth grader. I don't understand how to get the .zip onto my sdcard, then flash the recovery. I don't understand adb shell, and I don't know how to delete user data. Do I partition the sd card? *does derp face*

My eventual goal is installing Velocity 1.0 and speeding things up a bit. Hopefully with the good people here, I can do that without bricking my Ally.

First, you have to flash clock recovery. Then flash amonra

Upvote 0
Open clockwork rom manager, click "flach clockwork recovery" and make sure it sticks by trying to boot into it via rom managers "reboot to recovery" option, once it works, go back into rom manager and scroll down to bottom and find "flash alternate recovery"...click it. It may not work the first time, but keep trying until it sticks, then try rebooting into recovery (power off, then power on pressing send+menu+end together).. if it boots to a black screen with blue words on it, your good, open keyboard and press your arrow keys to scroll and your return key (not the ok key) to select "reboot". Congratulations, you have Amon Ra recovery.

Reactions: thedamon
Upvote 0
Done as you said, and all is well.
Now I need to:
1. Preform a Nandroid backup!
2. Wipe all userdata (data, cache and dalvik cache)
3. Install the ROM

1. For Nandroid backup, is that done in Rom Manager? I have choice of "Manage and restore Backups" which doesn't sound right, and "Backup current ROM".

2. to wipe user data, where do I go?

3. I have velocity in .zip on desktop. How do I get it on sdcard? Can I use a usb reader (that my sdcard fits in), or plug in phone and then...?

Upvote 0
1. For Nandroid backup, is that done in Rom Manager? I have choice of "Manage and restore Backups" which doesn't sound right, and "Backup current ROM".

No boot into Amon Ra by powering off, then power on pressing send+menu+end together. Everything will be done in recovery, not ROM Manager.
choose "Backup current ROM", "Nand Backup"

2. to wipe user data, where do I go?

"wipe", then "wipe All userdata", "wipe only cache", Wipe Dalvik cache" do all three before you flash a ROM.

3. I have velocity in .zip on desktop. How do I get it on sdcard? Can I use a usb reader (that my sdcard fits in), or plug in phone and then...?

The USB reader will work, just copy it to the root directory of your SD Card then "Flash Zip menu", "flash Zip from Sdcard", toggle down to the velocity.zip file and enter, then press enter to confirm.
Be sure you copy Velocity.zip to your SDcard first then
1. Preform a Nandroid backup
2. Wipe all userdata (data, cache and dalvik cache)
3. Install the ROM

Upvote 0
and finally "Reboot Phone." Finished. Velocity 1.0 looks awesome!

Now should I back up the phone? the rom? update? If so, how?

And thank you for the explicit instructions. Very helpful. I think I need to add the sig, "Stupid people shouldn't root their phone, but I did."

Off to search posts on what to do next.

Upvote 0
and finally "Reboot Phone." Finished. Velocity 1.0 looks awesome!

Now should I back up the phone? the rom? update? If so, how?

And thank you for the explicit instructions. Very helpful. I think I need to add the sig, "Stupid people shouldn't root their phone, but I did."

Off to search posts on what to do next.

I would do another backup once you have all your apps and settings how you want so you always can restore back to that point. Good luck! And remember to make a nandroid backup before making any big "root" related changes

Upvote 0
Be sure to update your scripts. They auto update every time you use them after version 17 (i think), but you have to manually check at any point before that. Do this by opening terminal emulator type "su" then "velocity" then choose option 4, then option 1. Be careful playing with the scripts, as there are a few risky options in there...always have a nandroid...and use the "nandroid + .android_secure" option if you use apps2sd.

Upvote 0

I find the easiest way is to use Rom manager to flash Clockwork. You may have to reboot and try again... 2 or three times. But it will eventually take. Now use this file after booting into Recovery for the first time:signed_kill_install-recovery.sh.zip
after that flash this:
recovery-aloha-RA-v1.2.5-GNM.zip

In order to put those files onto your phone: Connect to computer with usb cable then click menu then notifications then usb connected then "turn on usb storage" and finally ok.
Now you can go to your folders and find your SD card.

Now when you reboot into recovery you will have Amon-Ra 1.2.5

Good luck.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones